Sign in to follow this  
Brad70

Stanley Ribbit Double Take Vs. Zoom Horny Toad Hook

I'm wanting to increase my hookup ratio on frog fishing and have traditionaly used a 5/0 EWG Gammy hook. After my outing today tho I feel like I lost more fish than I should have frog fishing. Has anyone used the Double Take and/or Horny Toad hook and feels a distinct advantage over say a 5/0 EWG hook? Which do you prefer or is there another frog hook one would suggest?

?

I use the double take and it seems to work, but more importantly is make sure you are using a 7' or longer rod, H/XF, and BRAID!!

The rest of the gear I'm using seems to be more than adequate. I have a 7'2 MH All-Star rod with 30lb braid and that rod is flat out stout for a MH.Some of the blowups I can understand not setting the hook because the fish simply missed the bait or something of that nature but there were a bit too many circumstances when the fish had the frog and came off. I think I may try both hooks and sharpen them and see if I notice an increase in the number of fish being caught.

I've had better hookups on single hooks like the Moaner 5/0. I've also had a lot less damage to baits with that hook in Rage Toads.

Give em a 3 count and swing works nearly everytime

go zoom horny hook especially if you're reelin' those frogs through cover. just one more point to snag something if youre using the double take. fishing with em in open water seems fine though.

I recently bought some Ribbit Frogs to try out and the Double Take hooks to go with them-works great.

I picked up some Zoom Horny toad hooks today so we'll see if that helps any. I know I can't get all the frog bites but it would be nice!

Stanley 4" Floating Ribbit = Sizmic 4/0 Toad Hook

Stanley 4.5" Bull Ribbit = Zoom 5/0 Horny Toad Hook

The Floating Ribbit floats well at rest with a Sizmic 4/0 hook (hook weighs only 20 grains).

The Bull Ribbit is made of sinking plastic and needs to stay in motion to stay on top.

With a nonstop retrieve, hook weight is not an issue, so opt for a screw-coil retainer with the largest diameter

(i.e Zoom 5/0 Horny Toad hook). Unlike hollow frogs, I find the Ribbit to provide an excellent hook-up ratio.

Roger

I've been fishing the Ribbit frogs for 3 years now and switched from a single hook to the double take hook last year. My hookup ratio went way up. You still have to give them the pause after the strike. I almost always hook the fish in the top of the mouth. Just make sure you skin hook the hook points when fishing in Heavy cover.