Sign in to follow this  
slonezp

Bigger Or Smaller Presentation

I have heard it both ways. I continue to use mop jigs, large spinnerbaits and 10" worms. My train of thought is the bass doesn't want to expell alot of energy when the water temps are high(similar to cold water behavior), and eating a few large meals is better than alot of little ones. I have heard/read many guys downsize because of high pressured waters. I believe my #'s are down because of the heat. Could it be the size of the bait? What are your experiences?

Today on the Big Pond: Mostly sunny & hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 105. South wind around 5 mph before becoming calm.

Tonight on the Big Pond: Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. South wind around 5 mph.

Hum 31 °F difference in temperature, I’ll be fishing nights ;)

I don’t down size in the summer, I don’t down size because there are more boats on the water, & I don’t down size in the winter. My productive lures are plastic & jigs neither of which is considered “big”.

Rivers in Virginia - Downsize in summer.

Lakes in Virginia - Either way in the summer.

We have had better experience with finesse worms, regular and small jigs, trick worms, shaky heads, wacky rigs, smaller size spinnerbaits, 1/4 Cavitron and cranks the size of Bandits 100 and 200 than the larger presentations.

Bass are more entergetic in the warmer water than in colder water. However the smaller baits are being bit by most bass of all sizes.

I nailed a four-pound beauty a river with a 1/4 ounce Cavitron.

The secret is to throw what you want and then find the pattern.

You may be nailing them on The Original Jelly Worm while I am catching them one after another on a shaky head trick worm.

Go figure????? :blink:

Well if they will hit a 10" worm, fished slow, you can bet they would bite a Rage Baby Craw fished right next to it, equally as slow. I think fishing is more about being in the right place at the right time.

Fish are cold-blooded creatures, so the current water temperature dictates how fast they metabolize their food.

The warmer the water, the more frequently a bass must feed &/or select larger prey.

Unless there's some other good reason, I don't downsize in summer.

Roger