Sign in to follow this  

i have a 7'2 heavy action xfactor rod and i bent the crap out of the top guide. i wouldn't be too worried about it right now if the protective ring inside the guide didn't pop out leaving exposed metal, but it did so now i want to replace the guide asap. is it possible to replace it without losing any height??? i've replaced rod tips before but i've always lost about 2 inches.

I can't think of any tip tops that 2" long off the top of my head. If you want to post a pic I'll try to identify the model and tell you where to get a match. For that matter, the rod manufacturer might tell you or even send you one.

I can't think of any tip tops that 2" long off the top of my head. If you want to post a pic I'll try to identify the model and tell you where to get a match. For that matter, the rod manufacturer might tell you or even send you one.

Is there away to get the tip top eye off without cutting it off?

Use a lighter to heat the tip, and it twists right off. Replace with a new tip top using hot glue. Very simple fix.

Yes, it's just a hot glue. A couple tips: pull the top straight off. Avoid twisting.It should not require force once heat is applied. Apply heat from the very tip so as not to over heat the blank. Repair kits including the glue are readily available. Match the tube size as closely as possible to the tip diameter.

Yes, it's just a hot glue. A couple tips: pull the top straight off. Avoid twisting.It should not require force once heat is applied. Apply heat from the very tip so as not to over heat the blank. Repair kits including the glue are readily available. Match the tube size as closely as possible to the tip diameter.

Thanks DVT and J Francho!

good stuff excelent info. thanks

p.s i wsn't saying my tip was 2 inches, i was saying i've had to replace my tips because of breakage or whatever other reason and i've lost height as a result of that. i've never replaced strictly the guide so i wasn't sure

we used to replace them at gander mountain you may want to bring it in there. We used a hot epoxy like you would use on the ferrules in an arrow. works really well. and like said just heat the tip and and it should slide right off.