Sign in to follow this  
Big T

Question for Low Budget Hookers

I was wondering what kind of tackle you guys were using while fishing with shiners. What size rods, terminal tackle and method of hooking bait. Would my 7' mh rods rated fo 8-17 pound test line work. If anyone else has some info I would greatly appreicate it as well.

we are using Med power rods but a MH will work fine also. I have 12 lb on and my buddy has 10 so anything in that range is fine also. We were having fish bury in the grass, the MH would have probably helped there a little better actually.

I'm not really an equipment junkie however. I pick up a rod and start using it without too much forthought of the power or action. When it comes to jigging, that's different, gotta be stiff but otherwise, I pretty much go with the flow.

Roadwarrior can give you a list of preffered set-ups in fine detail if you ask him. If looking to get a set up just for this, also include the $ range or he'll have you mortgaging the house! :o

Oh yea, hooks were a 1/0 gammie octopus. Then yesterday, I used kahle hooks which worked fine also. Kahle hooks are made specifically for shiner fishing.

Also, I live line my shiners, no matter how I rig 'em. No float,bobber,swivel etc.

I am not really looking for specific setup, I was just wondering if my rods that I use for flounder and red drum would work. Most of them are shimano 4000 series reels with 10 or 12 pound line. I also have an Abu 4600C3 coming from Flechero, that I wanted to use. Thanks for the reponse though.  The way you guys were fishing is alot like the way we set out lightlines for King Mackeral while bottom fishing.

I'm not really an equipment junkie...

;D I don't care who you are, that's funny!! ;D

As for reels, 4000 is rather large , at least for the fish we have here.  It will work, but do you have any other smaller spinning reels?

Nope, that is smallest I have at the moment. I may get some smaller ones I am not sure. I don't really Bass fish as much as I do inshore saltwater. I live literally five miles or so from the beach. The lake I fish is a cooling pond for Progress Enegry. I mainly fish there when the water is too cold for the saltwater action, usually late November to early May or June. I may however start going bass fishing more. The intercoastal is starting to get too crowded. I went fishing one day this summer before I had back surgery and I could literally not find a spot where my boat was not be waked by pleasure boaters and jet ski's.

I hear you, the 4000 is perfect for inshore.  It will do fine for shiner fishing, especially as you say, you don't do it much. Better to have more power than not enough.  Make sure to lighten the line to have some fun with 'em, but it will be fine.

Shiner fishing: http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1161466772

Note: My rigging described in the thread is how I fish for smallmouth on the Tennessee River. It is quite different than the other suggestions because the environment is completely different than that of Florida lakes. For example, the line I use would be totally inappropriate for heavy vegetation.

Thanks Road Warrior. I missed this thread when I made my original post.