roadwarrior

Another Magic Lure

I received a PM asking about the Sworming Hornet and thought others might be interested, too. I had the privilege of fishing with WMD two years ago on the BR Road Trip at Pickwick. On Thursday I caught 78 bass and a gigantic catfish on this lure: My set-up is a 3.5" Lake Fork Tackle Live Magic Shad/ 3/8 oz Sworming Hornet fished on a bait caster spooled with #12 Yo-Zuri Hybrid. Pick your favorite color combination, but I use the black and silver shad with any of the silver bladed spin heads.

The key is the retrieve: Cast out and allow the lure to fall to the bottom on slack line. Keep your rod tip up. When the lure hits the bottom you will notice the line stops sinking on the surface. Reel up 3-4 turns as fast as you can, but do not move the rod tip or the position of your hands relative to your body. Let the bait fall back to the bottom on slack line. Repeat until you feel you are out of the zone. The strike will always occur on the fall. You might feel a tick, but usually it's weight or just "something different" when you begin to reel. Set the hook! Remember, reel up fast, don't pump. Pumping your rod simply moves the lure forward.

• Like 1

I have this setup and will try it again this year and see if I can catch some of that magic. Can you explain why moving the rod will cause the bait to move forward while reeling the line in will move the bait up?

Pendulum effect. You can see it if you ever go to a BPS when they have a tank seminar. It's actually pretty funny when the presenter will tell you the bait is doing one thing, and it actually does another.

Alton Jones used this rig in one the Day on the Lake Live shows on Fayette County Lake. He was fishing the rig exactly as RW explained in I believe 30 fow below the dam. I believe he caught a few on it; nonetheless he swore by the rig as well.

i have had awesome days with a buckeye su-spin with swimming senkos. was more of a straight, spinnerbait retrieve...i dig the yo-yoing tip though that's great, thanks bud

Forgive me for being a little behind the 8 ball on this, but which swarming hornet head are you talking about? I see 6 on their site.

I am noticing that the line tie on this lure is at a 90 degree angle. Does this mean that a straight retrieve with a swimbait on the back would not work correctly. Is it merely to be fished deep and on the bottom as you mentioned RW?

I am noticing that the line tie on this lure is at a 90 degree angle. Does this mean that a straight retrieve with a swimbait on the back would not work correctly. Is it merely to be fished deep and on the bottom as you mentioned RW?

Not at all.

I don't know, give it a try!

The only way I fish the lure is as described, lifting it off the bottom.