Sign in to follow this  
Jacob34

Recommendations For Tackle In Texas.

Once again I'll be going to Texas later this month and would appreciate some input on what lures I should look into bringing. I live in Utah and mostly throw small shallow running cranks and finesse type setups. I'm not sure if these would be worth bringing? I'll be in the Dallas area and have a guided trip set, but would like to go to some other places as well. I'll be taking a MH baitcasting rod, a M glass crank rod and a M spinning rod. Any input would be much appreciated.

Jig and rage craw!!!!

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and RED was the big answer (cranks and traps).

Hey, thank you for the input. It's much appreciated :)

If you have a guide trip set up, make contact with him. Any guide worth their $$ will tell you what baits to bring. Most lakes in the Dallas area fish fairly much the same as each other. Good luck!

SE Kansas grass grower

depends on what the weather is doing at the time... I really haven't ever fished a stick bait, but it's a big fish lure and catches them when the bite is tough from what I've heard.... Senkos are great...weightless, dropshot, tx rigged, etc...

Zoom fluke is a good springtime bait... for sure bring some red rat l traps or hot spots... big fish catcher down here is powerworm in blue fleck... however, you won't catch as many but I prefer the 10 inch powerworm as it really brings in the bigger fish... Big willowleaf spinnerbaits.... booyah... and terminator spinnerbaits...

Bomber fat free shad is good for crankin' and isn't super expensive.... Dropshottin can be very effective in spring as fish are highly pressured... and you may have to downsize when the fish getting a lot of pressure.... weather is critical... as an incoming cold front can shut you down... of course lizards are always a sure bet this time of year... good luck on your trip and let us know how u did...

I absolutely agree with Red but I also have Texas Rig, Rat-L-Trap, & Spinner Bait tied on.

I fished Cen-Tex for 6 years while I was in the Army. Watermelon Red Zoom Super Flukes and Zoom Trick Worms rigged on a jig head were staple lures. Carolina rigged watermelon red Senkos were a winner too. Those were my choice lures for the gin-clear deep lakes. For smaller lakes, ponds, and rivers, I used a Rage Craw rigged on a swimbait hook along with poppers and crankbaits. I had great luck there and caught some really nice fish.