Fish, Pray, Love

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted February 08 2013 - 10:55 PM

Most of your nicer rods have good warranties or lifetime warranties.

#17 zwhiten12

zwhiten12

RIPPN' LIPS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Any lake is a good lake.

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:17 PM

Most of your nicer rods have good warranties or lifetime warranties.

That's a good point! Thanks!!

#18 Arv

Arv

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationBolivar, MO

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:30 PM

150 - 200 on a rod, 100 - 150 on a reel. If I had the money, I'd be throwing out 4-500 on a rod. I think its the most important. But don't forget quality line as well.

#19 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:43 PM

[quote name="QUAKEnSHAKE" post="1232990" timestamp="1360380674"]Given a specific budget...

I want to buy a nicer rod, but I just can't get the thought of somehow breaking the rod and being out that much money where as if I bought a cheaper rod it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Certainly understandable.

Buy from well respected companies and know their policies.

One like Shimano that has over-the-counter Lifetime warranty. Even with that there can be certain stores that wont take them after certain time. You need to ask store of purchase how they will take care of issue.

Most have a charge depending on company for warranty claims for Lifetime rods.

I unfortunately have used St Croix warranty twice.  Sent broken rod(my fault) in and $20 and they took care of me.

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#20 kickerfish1

kickerfish1

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationNebraska
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth

Posted February 08 2013 - 11:49 PM

Typically for me $100-$500 for the reel and $150-$300 on the rod. I generally spend equal on both equal on both although I have a few higher end reels I have invested more in. Typically bottom contact rods are likely going to see more cash thrown at them compared to cranking, topwater, jerkbait, and spinnerbait rods.

With gear in this range I am getting longevity, lighter weight outfits, lifetime warranties on the rods, and pretty good sensitivity not to mention smooth reels with good casting distance and drags. To me I don't like to cheap out on anything, as when I have in the past, I just don't get many years out of the product despite good care and maintenance.

#21 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Topwater Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationKY
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Middle Fork of Kentucky River

Posted February 09 2013 - 12:36 AM

About 50/50 for me, but on my spinning setups I'll go with a less expensive reel, I feel like I can get away with a good spinning reel for about half of what I'll pay for a casting reel.

#22 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,491 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Worth Lagoon

Posted February 09 2013 - 05:32 AM

It's all about the fish!  There a various schools of thought and numerous articles about what's most important.  More expensive rods may be lighter and to some that's important, do they really cast farther, more sensitive and handle bigger fish?  I'm sure some will say yes, I would too just to justify spending $300, in reality I say no.  Same for reels, does my stradic really handle a 8# bass any better than my $30 reel in a bubble wrap with the handle sticking out, to justify it to myself yes, in reality no.  

I don't mind spending a significant amount money for larger harder fighting fish.  A good fisherman I may be not, but certainly not out of my mind, $300 reel and $300 rod to catch fish that average a few pounds at best and a few that might go 10+.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#23 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationLauderhill, Fl
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Toho

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:15 AM

What sets those 150+ rods apart from the 50-75 dollar rods? Thanks!

As Teal stated, better blanks and guides. With that said, I can tell you that I could fish just about any presentation with no problems using a Berkley Lightning Shock rod. I can say that because I have done it for a long time, I had to give them up due to the cork, it just gives me the heebies when I touch it now for some reason. I had no problem mounting a Curado or Chronarch on one and throwing jigs or any bottom contact bait. I could feel everything, but it wont slap you in the face the way a $200 rod will Im sure. I have found that I can feel everything just fine with a $100 Shimano Compre, and dont need to go any higher than that for a rod. My theory is that a reel is going to take a beating, and is going to be the machine behind job. If you want a good machine to perform flawless, your gonna need to spend some $. $150-200 is expected for a good reel. Now dont get me wrong, the PQ is a great reel for $90, but it aint no Revo S, Curado, or Chronarch. As for the rod, well lets just say you can slam it in a car door and its all over with, lol.

Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#24 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Silver Lake (WNY)
    Conesus Lake (WNY)

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:43 AM

I generally spend more on rods than reels.

I am not afraid to suck.

#25 DaveT63

DaveT63

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:59 AM

[quote name="zwhiten12" post="1232998" timestamp="1360381853"][quote name="QUAKEnSHAKE" post="1232990" timestamp="1360380674"]Given a specific budget...I want to buy a nicer rod, but I just can't get the thought of somehow breaking the rod and being out that much money where as if I bought a cheaper rod it wouldn't be as big of a deal.[/quote]

The higher end rods most all come with some sort of lifetime warranty. So if it breaks, you aren't out all that money. That helps make the higher price easier to justify for many people.

#26 Toeshots

Toeshots

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs

Posted February 09 2013 - 07:08 AM

Depends what you are doing with it. I just stocked up this winter and for bottom contact techniques, I bought $200 rods which will be paired with reels of the same value. Crankbait rod was around $100 but reel will be more.

#27 jerzeeD

jerzeeD

Destroyer of gear (If it doesn't belong to me!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationMilford, PA
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Aeroflex, Lake Hopatcong, Lake Swartswood, Lake Shohola

Posted February 09 2013 - 10:04 AM

Usually I spend more on the rod.... But I have some combos that are close to 50/50. I have a St Croix LTB with a Pflueger Patriarch and a Fenwick HMG with a Pflueger supreme...Both of those are close to 50/50, with the rods still both being slightly more. Then I have a St croix premier with a Pflueger Medalist and a St Croix Avid with a Pflueger Purist. Both of those set-ups are a little more lopsided toward the rods. With baitcasting setups, you are going to spend more $ on quality reels than you have to with spinning gear. That is probably why my rods are more than my reels, too.

#28 .ghoti.

.ghoti.

DILLIGAF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • Favorite Bass:All three
  • Favorite Lake or River:Trophy Country

Posted February 09 2013 - 04:50 PM

I recently updated my rod/reel spreadsheet for the insurance company. On average, my casting combos tilt toward the reel; with reels about 50 percent more than the rods. My spinning combos tilt the other way; with the rods being about two and half times what the reels cost. Those are average values. Individual combos are all across the spread.

Worst case one way: my jig rig, a Daiwa Light & Tough rod at $140, paired with a JDM Zillion, about three times that.

Worst case the other way: Steez spinning rod, msrp around $500, paired with a $150 Pflueger Supreme XT.

Right in the middle; a GLX with an R Edition Alphas, about even money for each.

I don't pair up my combos based on price, but on weight and power. Trying to color coordinate isn't even given a thought.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.  H.L. Mencken

#29 lmbfisherman

lmbfisherman

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Guelph Lake, OR Pond

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've always leaned towards the reel.  Not that I have yet to buy a very high end reel yet, I usually buy Shimano (Curado/Citica), I did however pick up a very good deal on used St Croix Avids (2 Baitcaster and 1 Spinning).  After using these, it has started to change my mind and am thinking of putting more money into rods and possibly making it at least 50/50.

G Loomis, Shimano, Fenwick and Wilderness Systems Ride 135

#30 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,787 posts
  • LocationGermantown, TN
  • Favorite Lake or River:Pickwick Lake
    Tennessee River

Posted February 09 2013 - 06:59 PM

I don't pair up my combos based on price, but on weight and power. Trying to color coordinate isn't even given a thought.

WHAT?  

Gotta have the bling-bling!

:eyebrows:

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users