bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

New Carbonlite Reel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#46 Georgia Jeff

Georgia Jeff

Raw Thumb Renegade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted March 01 2012 - 05:15 PM

I3rd and craww,

Let me know how they hold up. You guys just may be able to talk me into one if they hold up.

My Arsenal:
Shimano Chronarch 50 MG on a 6' 6 MH Duckett Micro Magic
Shimano Chronarch 50 MG on a 6' 3 M Johnny Morris Elite
Shimano Chronarch 50 MG on a 6' 3 M Johnny Morris Elite
Shimano Curado 100D on a 6' 6 M BPS Johnny Morris Signature

Shimano Curado 100D on a 6' 6 ML BPS Pro Finesse
Shimano Curado 100D on a 6' 6 M BPS Pro Finesse

Shimano Curado 200E7 on a 6'6 M BPS Pro Finesse
Abu Garcia Revo Inshore on a 6' 8 MH Johnny Morris Elite

Best LM yet 9 lbs

#47 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted March 03 2012 - 04:56 PM

I played with another one that was screwy? you could feel/hear the "gears" in a spot every rotation of the handle. It was the same spot every rotation of the handle?

The odd thing was if it had some end play in the spool the noise went away but if you gave it any spool tension it would make the noise.

I got my two JM-CLs in the mail yesterday. One of them has the same thing - a rough spot every rotation. I'll have to make some time to "pop the hood" and check it out. Dry spot on maingear? Burrs on that spot on the maingear? Other? One year warranty but I hate having to mail stuff back...
Just fish...

#48 BigBrotherThunda

BigBrotherThunda

Extraterrestrial!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted March 04 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ive been throwing KVD2.5's and RC3 DBS's on one of the 5.4 geared models for the last 3 weeks, LOVE it so far! If it holds up and continues to perform like this, I'll have to add a few more!

#49 Jeff P.

Jeff P.

Northwest Arkansas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted March 06 2012 - 09:43 PM

I picked up 2 of the new JM carbonlite baitcast reels. I have owned many BPS brand reels, and just like all of them I highly recommend taking it apart, give it a good cleaning, and then lube with good quality product. Straight out of the box, they are ok, but after I cleaned mine up they are much smoother. I use Ardent Reel Butter for grease on the gears, and I use the Ardent Bearing Oil for the bearings. I have only fished once with them, but so far I am very pleased with the performance, and I have them paired with Carbonlite rods. It's amazing how light those setups are, and a real pleasure to fish with. I plan to use mine for several purposes - topwater, jerkbaits, shallow-med crankbaits, spinnerbait.

#50 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted March 29 2012 - 08:41 AM

Ok, soit's been a while but I finaly got the new Carbonlite out of the box Yesterday. It's spooled with 8# Zo-Yuri and is on a 7'M Crankbait rod.

I'll have to say I was impressed! It casted GREAT. I turned the mag break off and set the other one to 1 and it never even tried to backlash.
It is a little bit noisy on the retrive but hey let's not forget it's a CHEEP reel compared to everything else I use.

I'd rate it a full five stars!
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#51 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted March 29 2012 - 09:57 PM

Ok, soit's been a while but I finaly got the new Carbonlite out of the box Yesterday. It's spooled with 8# Zo-Yuri and is on a 7'M Crankbait rod.

I'll have to say I was impressed! It casted GREAT. I turned the mag break off and set the other one to 1 and it never even tried to backlash.
It is a little bit noisy on the retrive but hey let's not forget it's a CHEEP reel compared to everything else I use.

I'd rate it a full five stars!

I opened mine and well they didnt use much grease at all plus it didnt seem like too good of a grease. I greased it nice, no full blown cleaning, Man what a difference just doing this made, much much better. Its a great reel now awesome caster KVD 1.0 with ease and 1/8 SK buzzbaits. Im wanting to use it more than my 50E of which Ive left home on a couple outings took the JMC/Smoke combo

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#52 Hooligan

Hooligan

Addicted to the jig.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 02:49 AM

A little update on this. I've been fishing two of them as testers for about a month and a half, give or take. I've gone through two of the 7.1:1 reels, both had major malfunctions that caused the reel to be wholly inoperable. From what I could find in the process of tear down and postmortem the pinion gear wasn't meshing properly, and was basically stripped. BOTH reels suffered the same fate. The 6.4 reel has been no issue whatsoever, but I've not fished it nearly the amount as the 7.1.
Brown fish are better than green fish.

#53 Jason Penn

Jason Penn

This space for rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 09:41 AM

A little update on this. I've been fishing two of them as testers for about a month and a half, give or take. I've gone through two of the 7.1:1 reels, both had major malfunctions that caused the reel to be wholly inoperable. From what I could find in the process of tear down and postmortem the pinion gear wasn't meshing properly, and was basically stripped. BOTH reels suffered the same fate. The 6.4 reel has been no issue whatsoever, but I've not fished it nearly the amount as the 7.1.

i've got to replace 1 of the 7:1 reels i've got. i greased the main gear but it's still got that hump. i had changed out the gears in an older model carbonlite last year with a pq pinion gear and a revo premier 7:1 drive gear and it basically did the same thing. i don't know what's up there. maybe switching out for a set of pq gears would work, and it'll still be just over 6 oz with the brass gears, if they will work.

i'm actually thinking about returning both of these 7:1's for 6:1 and just dealing with it. the 5:1 i have has no problems at all.
At this time, I am not accepting sponsors.   Feel free to send me samples of your product and I will add you to the list of possible candidates.

#54 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have two 6.4s. One is still NIB - that one is smooth without the rough spot once per turn. The other 6.4 has the rough spot and that's the one I've been fishing. I don't notice the rough spot during retrieves so that's mostly a non-issue for me. I only have a couple hours on it so far so I have no idea of how the 6.4s will hold up. The reel DOES cast very well.
Just fish...

#55 craww

craww

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted April 04 2012 - 09:39 PM

I've returned mine twice...The first time was due to the you guessed it, pinion issue. The 2nd time I was given a reel with Hydrilla in the friggin line guide. Didnt catch it in the store. Also there was a 1/16'' gap between the handle sideplate and frame. Apparently somebody fooled with it and didnt put it back together right? I dunno. My little brother was also given a used reel when he purchased his combo. Was told by the manager that it was impossible this could happen. Well it did, twice.

For what its worth, I returned my 7.1 and went with a 6.1. This thing is MONEY. Casts amazing. I'm very happy with the performance of the new reel.

#56 QUAKEnSHAKE

QUAKEnSHAKE

OAKLEY PITBULL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted April 05 2012 - 07:10 AM

I've returned mine twice...The first time was due to the you guessed it, pinion issue. The 2nd time I was given a reel with Hydrilla in the friggin line guide. Didnt catch it in the store. Also there was a 1/16'' gap between the handle sideplate and frame. Apparently somebody fooled with it and didnt put it back together right? I dunno. My little brother was also given a used reel when he purchased his combo. Was told by the manager that it was impossible this could happen. Well it did, twice.

For what its worth, I returned my 7.1 and went with a 6.1. This thing is MONEY. Casts amazing. I'm very happy with the performance of the new reel.

No doubt in my mind BPS sent me a used reel once. The plactic bag was torn the nut that holds the rotor on had nicks on the corners and a scratch about 1/2" long.

About JMC reel I was casting just nightcrawlers yesterday size 4 hook. Dont know how much a real crawler weighs but it worked fine. I wasnt getting 100' casts but 30'-40' or so.

QUANTUM SMOKE 7' MF
ST CROIX AVID 8' MLM
SEA EAGLE 124SMB
400016139.jpg

#57 BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I can't catch fish.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 03:05 PM

I got a left handed one when they were on sale a couple of months ago. I had to return it because the drag was messes up. The store didn't have any in stock so I had to settle for a refund. A helpful guy that worked there told me it would be best to order online and have it shipped to the store. BPS was out of stock for a few weeks and when they finally became available, I ordered another and had it shipped to the house. I was nervous from hearing of the stories from others about the rough gears.
I got the reel yesterday and the new one is as smooth as greased butter. No roughness of the gears what soever. Maybe the new batch was corrected? Anyhow, the new reel is super smooth and I am happy.

#58 mmoritz11

mmoritz11

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 11:40 PM

i bought one a couple weeks ago and dont have any complaints. smooth casting and i agree that the gears mesh well together.

#59 21farms

21farms

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 10:18 AM

i received a new 7.1:1 JM CL a couple of weeks ago. i was absolutely shocked how rough and grindy it was. i have bought a ton of new reels over the last few years and this was the worst...i'm not kidding...you could feel the vibration through the handle as well as hear it audibly. i took it back to my local BPS and the display models were only slightly better than mine. the salesman let me go through a few boxed ones and they were all rough. i finally picked out the best one i could find, a 5.4:1 but even that one is not close to what i'd consider "smooth". but, i was pretty determined to have one so i brought it home with the hope that a good lubing and some break-in time fishing it would help smooth things out. well, it didn't...i used it extensively on a 11-hour trip and, while it casted fine, it is still rough and grindy. i also had one incident where i got hung on a log and the boat was drifting the opposite way so fast i couldn't push the spool release button so i loosened the drag all the way and it still would release line...the spool was stuck and the line broke. after i was finally able to press the thumb bar and then re-engage the spool, the drag started working again. i really don't know what to make of people saying theirs are smooth...i tried out about a dozen of them from new stock and they were all rough.
Posted Image

#60 craww

craww

Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 10:27 AM

i received a new 7.1:1 JM CL a couple of weeks ago. i was absolutely shocked how rough and grindy it was. i have bought a ton of new reels over the last few years and this was the worst...i'm not kidding...you could feel the vibration through the handle as well as hear it audibly. i took it back to my local BPS and the display models were only slightly better than mine. the salesman let me go through a few boxed ones and they were all rough. i finally picked out the best one i could find, a 5.4:1 but even that one is not close to what i'd consider "smooth". but, i was pretty determined to have one so i brought it home with the hope that a good lubing and some break-in time fishing it would help smooth things out. well, it didn't...i used it extensively on a 11-hour trip and, while it casted fine, it is still rough and grindy. i also had one incident where i got hung on a log and the boat was drifting the opposite way so fast i couldn't push the spool release button so i loosened the drag all the way and it still would release line...the spool was stuck and the line broke. after i was finally able to press the thumb bar and then re-engage the spool, the drag started working again. i really don't know what to make of people saying theirs are smooth...i tried out about a dozen of them from new stock and they were all rough.

Sorry to hear that bro. Sounds like you may need to just go with a different model. I would have myself, but BPS didn't have anything in store for a comparable price I wanted. If they'd had a righty in the older model I would have went that route.