bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

New Carbonlite Reel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#61 Sherlock 60

Sherlock 60

It's called "fishing." NOT "catching. "

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 11:22 AM

This thread make be happy I decided to add two more Pro Qualifier reels to the ole' arsenal (a 6.4:1 and a 7.1:1) when they were on sale for $79 instead of going for the shiny new stuff.
"Somethin's only worth what the next guy's willing to pay for it."  Dear Old Dad

#62 Diggy

Diggy

I fish by foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 03:35 PM

Mine is still rocking, the 7:1 with no grinding as of right now. I did oil it but no grease. It did cast farther once I oiled it. Time will tell. I would like to repurchase the older model in left again. I miss it

A fish a day, keeps the skunks away.

#63 Mr Swim Jig

Mr Swim Jig

Swim Jigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 06:18 PM

My Carbonlite is still going strong. No noises or grinding just super smooth and a very amazing drage system. So far I am very impressed, but will post more as it gets more and more use.

#64 BassingNick

BassingNick

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted April 13 2012 - 08:29 PM

You guys should have gone with the Carbon Black, little heavier but absolute butter smooth and will chuck a lipless crank half way across Okechobee.

#65 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 07:54 AM

For sure the Carbon Black is a nice reel. I have two of the older Rick Clunn (blue model) reels that are part of the same gene pool as the Carbon Black and they're nice. But, at 9.4 ounces - about the same weight as the Carbon Black, they just don't see much use any longer. I've got lots of 6- and 7-ounce class reels to play with now and you get sorta spoiled. I think the whole point of many of us buying the new JCL reel is because of the exteme light weight and to see if BPS could successfully make a durable 5-ounce class reel at such a low price point. Even as a BPS BC reel fan, I have to say that the jury's still out on the JCL...
Just fish...

#66 Packard

Packard

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 11:16 AM

Glad I snagged an older model carbonlite on sale while everyone was scrambling for these.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T

#67 BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I can't catch fish.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted April 14 2012 - 02:09 PM

For sure the Carbon Black is a nice reel. I have two of the older Rick Clunn (blue model) reels that are part of the same gene pool as the Carbon Black and they're nice. But, at 9.4 ounces - about the same weight as the Carbon Black, they just don't see much use any longer. I've got lots of 6- and 7-ounce class reels to play with now and you get sorta spoiled. I think the whole point of many of us buying the new JCL reel is because of the exteme light weight and to see if BPS could successfully make a durable 5-ounce class reel at such a low price point. Even as a BPS BC reel fan, I have to say that the jury's still out on the JCL...

Goose, it seems like it's luck of the draw. Mine is as smooth as any of my Shimanos. Others say the grinding is horrible.
When I got my second one, BPS was out of the for several weeks. Maybe this second run was fixed. I know I was nervous waiting on this one, reading some of the other reports had me skerd I was gonna get a "grinder".

#68 FlipSide

FlipSide

Snozzberries

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 02:34 PM

Mine sucked, the drag system just stopped working after 2 fishing trips. I returned it and got a Pro Qualifier.

#69 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 04:21 PM

Mine sucked, the drag system just stopped working after 2 fishing trips. I returned it and got a Pro Qualifier.

Braided line?
It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#70 FlipSide

FlipSide

Snozzberries

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted April 17 2012 - 04:48 PM

Braided line?

Nope, mono.

#71 Diggy

Diggy

I fish by foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted April 18 2012 - 09:52 PM

So I decided to use the reel today and noticed the plastic bezzle around the line guide is was falling out. The Johhny Morris name plate and gold piece fell off. Some glue will fix but I shouldnt have to be rigging up new gear that hasnt been abused. The heat from my car may have loosened the adhesive up but still crappy if you ask me. None of my other reels are falling apart and Ive had them/used them longer

May return it in for a lews once I get my money back and go elsewhere

#72 21farms

21farms

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted April 21 2012 - 10:39 PM

well, looks like three time's a charm. i took my second JM carbonlite back to BPS to exchange today as i decided i just could not live with the grindiness. the very first one the salesman let me open was smooth and quiet! it was like night and day compared to my first two. even with the cast control knob tightened down to normal fishing setting, it was world's better and finally one that i would characterize as "fairly smooth". the spool will free spin for close to 20 seconds compared to about 3-4 seconds before.
Posted Image

#73 Diggy

Diggy

I fish by foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted April 21 2012 - 11:17 PM

Mine is officially gone. Need a lh goldie again. One of my biggest regrets was getting rid of it besides picking what was behind door #3 on lets make a deal

#74 jj'sbassinforfun

jj'sbassinforfun

Dink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted April 22 2012 - 10:17 AM

I picked up 2 CL's(1 rh 7.1:1 and 1 lefty 6.4:1). The lefty was smooth, But the righty was draggy. I tore it apart and did a clean and lube. Bearings were packed full of grease. So I tore into the lefty JIC!

For the money? I would go with the PQ's or the Lew's TSS for few $$ more. But I wanted the EVA grips. Next time I'll just add them or the CL handle to a PQ!