Sign in to follow this  
Craw

Husky Jerk

Been having lots of fun as of late with jerkbaits. Namely the Lucky Craft Pointer and the Rapala X-Rap. I know that the Rapala Husky Jerk has a loyal following and I was wondering when in particular these baits really shine over other jerkbaits. One thing in particular that I've noticed about the Husky Jerk is it's more subtle action when compared to the other two I mentioned. Seems to me like this would be favorable during extreme fish inactivity or extremely cold water. Just an educated guess mind you but am I on the right track? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite class of lures are suspending jerkbaits. I fish the Husky Jerk, Pointer, X-Rap & Rogue. They all catch fish. I don't think there are any reasons for chosing one over the other in terms of catching fish, but the Lucky Craft Pointer (all sizes) and X-Raps are better made and easier to use. The balancing system in the Pointer has been successfully copied by Rapala and both of these lures are more aerodynamic than the Rogue or Husky Jerk.

The Husky Jerk worked very slowly is one of the first baits that's effective for me in early spring, though next spring I will mix in X-raps, which I've only recently bought for the first time. I'm interested to see if I notice much difference in effectiveness.

Try a 5" husky jerk in gold/black back. Its the one with three trebles, replace the middle treble with a red one and work it in cold water.....drives 'em nuts for me.

RW's dedication to the LC pointer has convinced me to purchase a few this winter and try them in the spring....so, we shall see how they compare to the husky.

Wayne

Wayne,

If you have a BPS that you shop, check the Lucky Craft section everytime you are there. Yhey often have an unadvertised, "in store" special. I picked up several Pointers a few months ago for around $7.

Another Husky Jerk color that I have found to be particulary productive is the silver/blue (with a touch of orange).

Another Husky Jerk color that I have found to be particulary productive is the silver/blue (with a touch of orange).

That color, along with the clown color are my two most productive jerkbait colors.  I like the husky jerks, but I really, really like the deep down husky jerks.

Agreed I have a couple deep husky jerks, they have been great for me fishing the middle depths very slowly and deliberately.  Caught  a few of the suspenders on Erie this spring and again this fall.

I fish Husky Jerks and Pointers as well as a few discontinued Bombers that I hoard everytime I see them on eBay or anywhere else.

I prefer the Pointers in tougher conditions as they have a very subtle wiggle when sitting still. I've always done better with them than my other baits and I always try each one to see which one does better.

Right now, my susoending baits are Husky Jerks, Deep Husky Jerks, Pointers, Staysee and some Bombers.

As far as Husky Jerk colors, I use all of the chrome based coolors.

Brad

had alot of husky jerk acouple of years ago, but was never able to catch anything with them

TENNESSEE SHAD AND SILVER BLUE HAVE WORKED BEST FOR ME.