NEjitterbugger

Stocked Fish... Records Or Not?

Last fall I was visiting my grandfather and that same weekend the stocked a pond with a bunch of trout and salmon... I landed a 6lbs 3oz salmon.. Later in the year I would say around the summer I was looking at the IGFA junior angling records, (at the time, don't know if it changed) I saw that the record for landlocked salmon was 4lbs, mine was 6lbs...Even though it isn't an official record because I did not know it at the time and didn't go through the process If I did and the fish was of size etc. Could the fish be a record even though it was stocked?

I think it depends on a few things.

I pulled this from the IGFA website.

No applications will be accepted for fish caught in hatchery waters or sanctuaries. The catch must not be at variance with any laws or regulations governing the species or the waters in which it was caught.

Not sure exactly what that means but I would guess your fish wouldn't count unless it was a public location I could be wrong though

Probably not. Igfa states " No applications will be accepted for fish caught in hatchery waters or sanctuaries The catch must not be at variance with any laws or regulations governing the species or the waters in which it was caught." Your reference to landlocked salmon doesn't mean that the stocked salmon you caught was actually classified as a landlocked salmon. Stocked private ponds are usually excluded from most state records. You are catching some nice fish. Congrats.

I don't know about IGFA but Kansas stocks trout since we have no native wild trout and they keep records of those. I would think it would count as long as it was a public body of water and it was caught in accordance with all IGFA rules.

Probably not an IGFA record, but don't let that dampen your feelings. Great catch, brag about it !