Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

Revo Winch Question

Picked up a gen 2 winch. As usual to much oil from factory, anyway took off spool tension knob, removed the plastic spacer to access to bearing. And I think there is a washer or seal missing. I can see the the little bb's on the bearing, its wide open. Is this the way its made or is the bearing missing its shield?

You will see it both ways in many of the ABU reels, I have around 20 and they are a mix of shielded and unsheilded bearings under the cast control cap.

Had it out practice casting today seems fine. Guess I'll call Abu tomorrow to double check. Thanks Avery

Missing the shield won't effect you at all. It'll actually be easier for you to clean. The first revo I ever owned which was in 2009 came without shields in the bearing in the spool tension knob. All others have the shield

Picked up a gen 2 winch. As usual to much oil from factory, anyway took off spool tension knob, removed the plastic spacer to access to bearing. And I think there is a washer or seal missing. I can see the the little bb's on the bearing, its wide open. Is this the way its made or is the bearing missing its shield?

That bearing is an ARB bearing pack and is built like that, just like Shimano' ARB's.. :Victory:

Tight Lines!   :fishing1:

That bearing is an ARB bearing pack and is built like that, just like Shimano' ARB's.. :Victory:

Tight Lines!   :fishing1:

Could you explain the ARB bearing pack?  Is it better or worse compared to the shielded bearings that come standard?  

Tight Lines! :fishing1:

I think that my description confused you. The Anti reverse bearing is located in the handle pack and its a roller type, that catches on the sleeve that the handle goes through. Can't put an anti-reverse bearing on the spool shaft, if you did the reel wouldn't cast.

No, David isn't confused. Anti corrosion bearings carry different acronyms, as part of each compny's branding and marketing, such as Shimano's "AR-B" or Daiwa's "CRBB". It just so happens that Shimano's ARB or "Anti Rust Bearings" are not shielded. Reels with "SAR-B" designations are shielded. Pure Fishing's anti rust bearings are not shieled, as you have found.

lol, now I'm feeling rather ignorant :Idontknow: , thanks for the clarification. I saw ARB, and my mind went to Anti Reverse Bearing, thanks again. Yeah Abu calls them HPCR. My apologies to David

No, David isn't confused. Anti corrosion bearings carry different acronyms, as part of each compny's branding and marketing, such as Shimano's "AR-B" or Daiwa's "CRBB". It just so happens that Shimano's ARB or "Anti Rust Bearings" are not shielded. Reels with "SAR-B" designations are shielded. Pure Fishing's anti rust bearings are not shieled, as you have found.

Thanks J... :Victory:

retiredbosn  no probs... :Victory: