Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Can Any Seasoned Members School Me On The Manns Jelly Worm

So I have been getting my gear sorted out as I'm probably gonna start my season around March 1. I remebered a box I had stashed away with some vintage soft plastics like Fliptails and such.I came across some bags of 6 and 8 inch Manns Jelly Worms. This is what they gotta be because it says "MANNS" right on the tail.

These are out of thier original packaging and now just in Ziploc bags. Sadly they don't have that oily sheen or scent anymore.

So I T-rigged one up with a 1/16oz bullet wieght and messed around with one in my 55 gal aquarium. Can't say I was impressed.

What action (if any) are these worms supposed to have?

I've read lots of hype about them...what makes em so special? Is it the scent?

Maybe its because these are old, they don't do anything...are they supposed to put out vibes? Float...what's the deal?

They are worms, just rig them and fish them like you would any other worms. Its all on you and the way you move the pole, rig the worm, etc. They have been around forever, and many still fish them today. I have a bag myself, but don't use them that much. I believe that bag is about 10 years old, I just don't fish worms that often.

They are similar to the popular and productive Zoom Trick worm. Sometimes less is better.

Try it on a Shakey head

• Like 1

Well, if you buy anymore, get the 12" version. The biggest catch in professional

tournament fishing was 132.8 lbs caught exclusively on a 12" Mann's Jelly Worm.

manns_100x68.gif
Mann's 12" Jelly Worm

• The No.1 selling worm of all time
    • Used by professional and novice anglers alike
    • Often effective when other baits fail

First introduced in 1967, Mann’s Jelly Worm remains the No. 1 selling worm of all time and for good reason. Mann’s "Jellies" helped Paul Elias claim the all-time BASS four-day weight record of 132-1/2 lbs. and serious anglers continue to use them to put more bass in their boats. Veteran and novice baitcasters alike need to reserve a place in their tackle boxes for these worms to improve chances of success when the fish are finicky. The 12" size us designed specifically to target trophy bass. Per 10.
Size: 12".
Colors: (001)Blackberry, (003)Blueberry, (005)Black Grape, (007)Grape, (009)Strawberry, (011)Watermelon Red.
  • Like 2

I TOTALLY get it now. I continued to mess with the Manns Jelly Worms snd others in this box (Original Fliptail, HOBO, and Fintail, Rebel ring style straight tail worms) All the worms mentioned look AWESOME on a 3/16 Strike King Shakey Head, so much action with very little effort.. I have a juvenile Green Sunfish in the tank and he showed approval by taking a hold of the tail of a Fintail worm and swimming off with it when I rigged it on a dropshot and let it just suspend in the water with minor twitches imparted with my fingers.

I think I may have just found a Treasure Trove of baits. I paid very little for this box of worms and it was advertized as "Leftovers" .When I first got these I wrote them off too, just like the previous owner did..These must be old...they stink like an old musty attic. Wonder if the fish would care about the musty scent...my Green Sunfish didn't seem to mind, but this is a Green Sunfish were talking about...Megastrike or JJ's might be in order.

I started using this worm again last summer after a long Hiatus.

9" & 12" are solid producers when fish want a sizable worm. 

Try a very slow presentation with a split-shot type rig on spinning gear - think outside edge of deep weed lines.

Draw a single line down each side of the Scuppernong color with a Black Sharpie . . . . . .

SHhhhhh . . . . . . .

A-Jay

If memory serves they were the fist scented worm. Use an 1/8 or 1/4 ounce ball head jig rigged with an open hook, cast along a weedline and fish it like a curl tail grub, 6 inch size, they can save a slow day and be used as a fish finder.

Rodney

They came in a curl tail and a semi paddle tail.  They were and are still a great finese worm. I have over a 100 still.  When the Brush Hog hit the market, many worms were shelved.  I did the same thing.  Bad mistake. The 6 inch in a 1/8th bullet with appropriate hook will catch em'. I also have quite a few of the original Gator Tail worm used by Larry Nixon to win a Classic on the Ohio River. They will also see some time this season. Some lures are timeless. Fish those suckers.

I've caught a ton of fish on the 8" blackberry Jelly Worm on a T-rig with a 1/4oz weight. Just like a finesse worm, they don't do much, but neither does a real worm or lots of other things a bass would like to eat. They're my dads favorite worm and he actually just casts them out and reels them back in very slowly and catches lots of fish. They're a good combination of soft yet durable so they move very easily but they don't tear on the first fish either.