mathnerdm

Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Casting Rod Strange "guide"?

Ok, stupid question inbound.  I picked up a lightning rod and cant wait to go use it this week! The one question is, there's like a miniature cheesy guide (I know it's not a real guide but it's what it looks like) about 2 inches in front of the reel.  It happened to be where they put the tag on with a rubber band. Is that ALL it is for? Anyone who owns one know what I'm talking about? Do I just leave it on the rod? I was gonna upload a photo but photobucket isn't letting me right now. Thanks and I'd appreciate somebody letting me know if I should just leave it alone or what.

Yep, Attach your bait to the hook keeper, and twist the line around the rod over the 1st guide for tangle free storage.

Yep, Attach your bait to the hook keeper, and twist the line around the rod over the 1st guide for tangle free storage.

Best advice if you dont use rod gloves. 

X2  :Victory:

Best advice if you dont use rod gloves. 

Even if you do use rod gloves, this helps when the rods are out on the deck as well.

Am I the only one that cringes when you see a guy hook the bait on the third or fourth guide from the tip, and reel up so much that the tip is bent over?

Even if you do use rod gloves, this helps when the rods are out on the deck as well.

Am I the only one that cringes when you see a guy hook the bait on the third or fourth guide from the tip, and reel up so much that the tip is bent over?

I've gotten to the point that I don't even like resting a rod against the wall. but yes, I know where you're coming from.

I had a buddy who always did that and I always said it's not right but never could get through to him lol. Now I know I have a designated one!

Did a tip replacement on a rod for a local guy. When I laid it on the bench, the tip was about 3" higher than the butt. When I returned it, I asked if he stored it leaning in the corner. He looked shocked and asked how I knew.

Did a tip replacement on a rod for a local guy. When I laid it on the bench, the tip was about 3" higher than the butt. When I returned it, I asked if he stored it leaning in the corner. He looked shocked and asked how I knew.

Well, time to go move my new rod lol! Thanks for the tip!

I use the Fuji hook keeper as some of my older rods that dont have the newer added on Hook keepers built in. They work good as well.

Most of the time I just throw the rod gloves back on because even with line wrapped I had one get snagged and snap and I feel that the wraps somehow didnt allow the rod to bend or put stress in a weird spot. I could be paranoid but I dont want that happening to my expensive rods. ( always used to wrap them in the past) .  What I hate the  most worse than the fourth guide is leaving the bait hanging from the tip. I tend to jump around on the boat especially when going for the net and I really do not want a hook in my leg.

I don't like the way the wind grabs them on the deck when I'm running. Then again, I'm running 70-75 mph, lol.

The wind isn't too forgiving at 40mph either. Almost lost a combo due to a rod sock. Took off to move and the rod wasn't strapped down. It flipped over and headed out the back of the boat. The reel got caught on the lip of the transom in the splash well. No more rod socks when rods are on deck!