Sign in to follow this  
JTMONEY606

Need Some Advice On Rods And Reel Setups Please!!!

ok guys im not a newbie at bass fishing i have been fishing on and off since i was a kid, but i just this summer learned how use a baitcaster i always used zeybco 33's at first then went too spinning reels. my question is what is a good couple of rods and reels too get thats high quality good stuff in baitcasters. i have already bought a abu pro max and paired it with a vengence abu rod 6'6 its ok but the button and handle isnt very smooth you can tell its some of the low end abu garcia stuff. i was using a old quantuim the older style big reel and it is alot smoother then the pro max, i just hate how big it is now i got used too the pro max. i mostly bank fish everyday close too my apartment, what is a good setup i can get cause im gonna start selling some guns and stuff so i plan on spending around a grand or more on rods and reels. i love the shimano core and the revos in the reels and g loomis st croix looks like they really do it right, shimano and diawa i would accept also because i already have a diawa balistic 7'4 frog rod i need a reel for i plan on using 50 pound suffix braid.  im ready start using good rods and reels. any help would be great thanks.

I would suggest you look at the Johney Morris signature series reel. It costs $100+ less than compairable reels so you get more bang for your buck. For a rod I would look at Shimano Cummara, or St Croix Avid or legend tournament series rods.

I can't afford the likes of a Core or the better GLoomis and St. Croix rods so no help to you there, friend.  You definitely will be upgrading your fishing gear.  :teeth:

For your frog rod, I would consider an STX or Lews Team Gold simply because I like the higher drag values.  However, the thumb can be used if needed to pull a hog out of a weed bed.

I'm quite partial to a couple Daiwa Zillions of mine.

Send a PM to one of the guys that fish these rods such as "roadwarrior".  Pretty sure they would be more than happy to answer questions if you can't get any answers here.  Actually pretty surprised you haven't received any replies yet.  Nothing more fun than spending someone else's money.  :teeth3:

EDIT:  Well, you received one while I was typing.  I'd like to add that a MHF would make a good first rod.  I prefer 7' or longer, but that is personal preference.

ok guys im not a newbie at bass fishing i have been fishing on and off since i was a kid, but i just this summer learned how use a baitcaster i always used zeybco 33's at first then went too spinning reels. my question is what is a good couple of rods and reels too get thats high quality good stuff in baitcasters. i have already bought a abu pro max and paired it with a vengence abu rod 6'6 its ok but the button and handle isnt very smooth you can tell its some of the low end abu garcia stuff. i was using a old quantuim the older style big reel and it is alot smoother then the pro max, i just hate how big it is now i got used too the pro max. i mostly bank fish everyday close too my apartment, what is a good setup i can get cause im gonna start selling some guns and stuff so i plan on spending around a grand or more on rods and reels. i love the shimano core and the revos in the reels and g loomis st croix looks like they really do it right, shimano and diawa i would accept also because i already have a diawa balistic 7'4 frog rod i need a reel for i plan on using 50 pound suffix braid.  im ready start using good rods and reels. any help would be great thanks.

Shimano Chronarch + Cumara = Awesome.

Ive got a GL2 worth every penny !  i also like my Powell max  for 139. on sale !  im not a big fan of my quantum smoke rod. only cuase i like the feel of cork!

I'd go with a kistler KLX rod.  You can find them on sale for 130-140 on the website and there are other discount codes out there that will help bring the cost down further.  Dont need to spend a ton to get an amazing rod.

As far as reels go I'm of the opinion now that used or fleabay is the way to go!  Snagged a few curado 50es for less than 120 shipped...  

• Like 1

thank you guys this is what i wanted hear some good suggestions cause i have been looking a the pic thread of everyones setups and boy you all got some sweet rods and reels. i have really been enjoying using the baitcaster this summer and dont think i could ever go back too spinning reels unless i just use one for my shaky heads. if the new quantums are like my old pro exspress but now smaller thats a smooth baitcaster. i have been looking at some LEWS. theere is a small tackle shop about 30 min away that has alot of nice reels and rods i need go there and test some out. BTW is there a place on here where people sell fishing stuff like a classifieds section? sorry im new on here just joined.

I would suggest you look at the Johney Morris signature series reel. It costs $100+ less than compairable reels so you get more bang for your buck. For a rod I would look at Shimano Cummara, or St Croix Avid or legend tournament series rods.

i heard great things on the jhonny morris i almost bought the combo for 259 out of bass pro. i bet that would of been a great starter set then get a few other high end stuff later. thanks 

IMO Basro rods are inferior. You can get a better rod for about the same money with St. croix, Shimano, and even G Loomis with the GL 2

When you invest in good quality rods and reels your priority should be in product reliability, warranty and customer service. Good rods and reels will last more than a decade if you take care of them. So take your time, go to several tackle shops, not discount box stores, and touch, feel and discuss the differences with skilled sales people and knowledgable anglers.

Reels; Ardent, Daiwa, Shimano all make excellent bait casting reels with good customer service, warranties, service techs and up grades with bearing and other parts.

Rods; ALX, Dobyn's, Lamiglas have phenomenal customer servive and warranties. Loomis NRX is the top rod and most expensive over the counter rod, however warranty and customer service isn't what it once was since Shimano owns them. St Croix has a good reputation on this site and make good quality products, I don't own any and don't have personal experience.

If you want quality with less warranty or customer service the are several other rod and reel makers around, just need to research spare parts and service. I read good reports about Lew's TP1H tournament reels for example.

Tom

I'd go with a kistler KLX rod.

I originally mentioned this in my first post, but deleted it before posting since you didn't seem interested in anything other than GLoomis and St. Croix rods.  I don't have one.......yet, but have read extremely good reviews of these rods.

Another excellent rod for not much money is the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth.  Have 2 of these and plan on at least one more.  I actually prefer them to the current hot rod....the ***.

For enthusiasts, technique specific gear is fun
to collect. However, three rigs cover all the
basics:

#1 6 1/2' or 7' MH baitcaster for jigs, some
soft plastics and spinnerbaits

#2 6 1/2' or 7' MM baitcaster for treble hook
lures

#3 7' MF spinning rod for lighter lures and a
variety of techniques

As far as reels go I haven't used anything besides Shimanos and Daiwas. IMO a curado e or chronarch e will be more than enough, no need to get a core if you really don't have to. I don't personally own a core but have used it a few times and for the price a curado or chronarch can't be beat. 

For rods, I just received my first NRX two or so weeks ago. The sensitivity is amazing and the rod itself just feels really nice in my hands. Although... It is heavier than my phenix recon2 (the sensitivity on the recon2 is pretty amazing too), which is a little less than half the retail price of a nrx. So my personal opinion would be to look at other rod options too. And if you really want a nrx I'd say get a rep sample. It is a lot better than paying the full price for a nrx, and they are still covered by the wild card.

I would always recommend spending more on a rod than a reel.  Being able to feel that subtle tap is a big deal!

For enthusiasts, technique specific gear is fun

to collect. However, three rigs cover all the

basics:

#1 6 1/2' or 7' MH baitcaster for jigs, some

soft plastics and spinnerbaits

#2 6 1/2' or 7' MM baitcaster for treble hook

lures

#3 7' MF spinning rod for lighter lures and a

variety of techniques

Here are a few specific suggestions:

G.Loomis GLX MBR844C/ Shimano CTE200GT

Avid AVC70MM/ Curado 50E7 or the new Chronarch CI4+  http://tackletour.com/reviewicast2013shimanochronarch.html

or

Pinnacle Perfecta DHC5-701CAMCB/ Optimus XLT  http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/shop/p-87-perfecta-dhc5.aspx#page=page-1

St.Croix LES70MF/ Stradic CI4+  http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Stradic_CI4_.html

thanks im gonna pull the plug soon on a lews for the frog rod and then i want a nice 6'6 med heavy i can use for spinnerbaits and plastics like worms tubes and jigs. might pair it up with a chronarch or a zillion there super nice looking and i heard they are smooth as butter. 

Lotsa good baitcasting rods out there.. going from spinning to baitcasting you need to get yerself a good starter reel.. thats the most important..

Curado or better Shimano reel..