Sign in to follow this  
jmlouis

Starting Set Up

I have been Fly fishing for almost 10 years now but haven't as much of a chance to bass fish with a spinning rod. What is a good rod, reel and tackle to start out with?

What type of water do you plan to fish; lakes or rivers?

Bass, like trout come in several species and the tackle should be selected accordingly.

Light tackle for general bass fishing with spinning rod/reel is known as medium moderate to fast action, 6'6" to 7' using 6# to 8# monofilament line. The lures for spinning tackle usually are between 1/8 to 3/8 oz. lures, like flies should also selected for the type of water and bass you plan to catch.

Basic bass species are; largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass.

Tom

I know where you can get a baitcaster for $1.40... :punch-2:

• Like 2

Academy reel, Berkley Lighting Rod & Zoom plastics ;)

Need to give us a budget in order to narrow down the field.

That poor dead horse.

Anyway, spinning reels can be had new for $40-60 that are decent quality. Shimano, Pflueger, Abu Garcia, and Okuma make decent spinners around that price. Actually, if you have a Dick's near you, you could get a Field and Stream rod on clearance for $25 and maybe score a spinning reel, too.

You may need to increase the budget if possible or go on line EBay etc to find something.

BPS and Cableas offer some combos with Shimano Sedona FD reels that would work for entry level bass fishing @$100 and last you a few years.

Tom

The rods are $9.99 and under too. The Shakespeare rod I'm using is only $4.99 my $1.40 baitcaster reel works awesome.

Anyway it depends on how much you want to spend. The reels I started off with were Wal-Mart quantum for spinning reels. The better reels I went to are the okumas and finors. If you have a little more to spend.

You could look at BPS in there outlet section too. They do offer deals at times. Right now at Fish and Save they have the okuma eipxor spinning reel for $49. For a good spinning rod you will need advice from the gurus here.