Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Dropping Down In Line Size.

Looking for some thoughts from folks who have dropped down in line size. What are some of the advantages? I know less drag will allow cranks to dive deeper, but does the less drag increase sensitivity on deep jigs/plastics? Do you get more bites? Thanks. I am thinking about going down to 12lb for my jig/plastics from 15/17.

I think it can make a difference fishing finesse presentations and live bait. 

:party-066:

Line size should be determined by water clarity, cover and depth/ structure and lure weight you normally fish.

I fish deep rocky structure lakes, clear water with sparse cover, so line diameter can be critical during day light hours. The same lake at night, line diameter isn't an issue, other than being compatible with the hook/ lure size.

You can control any size LMB with 10 to 12 lb line in the lakes I fish due to the sparse cover. In heavy weed cover 3 lb size bass can be a hand full with 10-12 lb line.

Light line means less line drag going through the water, lures fall faster and you have better feel of the line movement that translates to knowing what your underwater lure is doing.

When fishing with top water lures, sometimes heavier line helps with walking the dog type lures.

Tom

Cranks will dive deeper and im general, baits will have a much better action when fished with thinner line. The catch here is, unless you fish thick wood you seldomly need 15+ line, besides, copoly line has greater resistence with thinner diameter, so you can change your line type for copoly, you get the best of both worlds, high resistance and thinner diameter.

besides, copoly line has greater resistence with thinner diameter

Hey Raul, are you talkin about abrasion resistance? Why would thinner line be greater? Thanks

Line size has so many factors to it for me.  With that said I try to fish the lightest line possible for the conditions.

• It starts with the cover I intend to fish.  I am more inclined to go with a bigger size line for flipping a jig in brush than on weed edges for example.  (20lb FC max)
  • Size of the lure is next.  Again for anything bigger than a 1/2 oz I would go bigger ( 15-17lb test)
  • Water Clarity - The smaller the better.  I don't go any less than 12lb FC for jigs on a baitcaster.  10lb on Spinning.

12lb is a good all around place to start.  No better way to learn than to try it.  Seems to work ok for me.

Hope that helps.