Sign in to follow this  
chromedog

What type and weight of jig heads for tubes?

What type/brand and weight of jig heads do you guys use for your 4"-5" tubes?  Do you use rattles?  Weedguards?

I typically fish it two ways

T rigged  weight usually between 1/4-1/2

Jig head,  standard 3/16-1/4 for swimming.

Fin-tech Titleshot jig rigged weedless in an appropriate weight for the conditions.

Inserted weight, offset worm hook, ALWAYS weedless

(Texposed or skin-hooked).

8-)

What brands do you use Roadwarrior?

Do you guys always use the weighted hooks or inserted weights?  What about bullet weights?

Tubes are going to be the technique I try to learn this year so I am trying to figure out what direction to go as far as tackle. 

I fish em 2 different ways. One is with a tube jig head, the one that goes inside the bait then puch the line tie out near the head. I buy em from Innovative Sports Group out oof Wisconsin. I also buy their Dream Tubes, quad dipped for this technique.  THe fall like this is very enticing to the fish.

The second was as mentioned is typical Texas with 3/16-1/2 and a 5/0 EWG.

Here is the jig head I use. Notice that the hook eye is taller so it goes through the tube easier. The hooks are good and sharp.

http://store.ebait.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=isg&Product_Code=DreamTjig&Category_Code=

The great lakes series Dream Tubes are my favorite for anything not flippin. I buy em by the 100 bag.

I'm gonna have to try those...Thanks RW.

Personally I don't like those...I had the tube and hook get tangled up in that cause the bait to slide down and it's hard to get it back into position.I have those and the rattle ones as well.

I use the jig hooks made by a local tackle company here in a mom and pop's store. They have gammy hooks with them. One good thing about here Tubes are the most popular bait here and therefore making of our tackle makers here offer a lot of different things.

http://troycox.imoutdoorshosting.com/store/page42.html

These work as well if you don't want the expose hook from the tube jig and prefer to keep it weedless.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys.  What size offset worm hooks are you using for say a 4" tube, 3" tube etc...

Not to steal the thread but i just recently started playing with tubes and have not got a bite on one yet. I'm using 3.5 SK Coffee tubes with a 3/0 EWG and a glass rattle inserted into the tube. Will the rattle get in the way on hook set?

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. What size offset worm hooks are you using for say a 4" tube, 3" tube etc...

3" 3/0 wide gap,4" 4/0 wide gap. The biggest and widest hook you can get away with.

Not to steal the thread but i just recently started playing with tubes and have not got a bite on one yet. I'm using 3.5 SK Coffee tubes with a 3/0 EWG and a glass rattle inserted into the tube. Will the rattle get in the way on hook set?

As long as it's not blocking the hook set,nope won't get in the way. I believe there was a tutorial on here where they put the glass,then a ear plug foam,then the hook.It keeps the rattle up by the nose area and away from the hook point.

I use these. Weedless and easy to rig. :D

DSCN0690.jpg

DSCN0695.jpg

What are those called?