I'm looking for a spinning rod to pair with a pflueger president 6930 or 6935. I plan on only having one spinning combo in my yak so i need something pretty versatile. Something that will cover wacky worms, small texas rigs, spinnerbits 1/4 oz. and smaller, anything too small for a baitcaster. I know extra-fast action is best for wacky worming but will that be sufficient for small spinnerbaits? I'm thinking a meium power, would you suggest 6'6, 6'8, or 7'? I know I will either purchase an abu garcia veritas, st. croix mojo bass, or st. croix premier. Say I decided on the mojo bass, would the wacky worm or tubes and grubs model be best? I know this was a lot of questions so thank you to anyone who offers some help.

I'd take a Premier with a 6930 on it. I might go down to ML power with St. Croixs. A Medium St. Croix is a pretty strong stick.

Writing regarding GLoomis rods,

I bought a loomis gl2 6ft spin rod in the year 2000 and it was a great rod it absorbed much punishment for 12 years, so time to upgrade i bought a 6ft 6" gl3 light spin rod and it has been by far the worst weakest rod i have ever owned. It cost me $450 Australian dollars to buy and i hooked an eel on a worm and it broke like a twig, so i go back to where i purchased it because of a supposed lifetime warranty and im stung another $180 dollars to have the tip replaced. Still having faith in the company i thought whatever it'll be right now! boy was i taken for a ride, went fishing today [trout] slow trolling in a boat, hooked a brown about a kilo or 2 1/4lb on 6lb test Maxima chameleon mono and snap, it ****en broke before the line did, i sware i have seen toothpicks that are stronger. My old one was tuff my new one junk, has there quality been comprimised lately eg. poor quality materials does anybody know? because this experience has turned me off the brand for life. My advice do not buy a G Loomis Gl3 sr782-2 / 6ft 6"4-8lb fast action light spin. Because the one i bought is now sitting on the bottom of Lake Augusta in Tasmania. Lost my fish too    scoundrels

If you didn't have the 1/4 oz spinnerbaits in there as a requirement I'd suggest a St Croix Avid or above in the 6'8" M/XF. You can find many posts with positive feedback on that rod through out the forum. For me the taper is perfect for a well rounded soft plastics spinning rod that would also handle some really finesse sized jigs. For me it is the rod for fishing Senkos, period. I have this blank in the previous version of the Legend Extreme and I will never give it up.

Given your desire to throw spinnerbaits I'd suggest a St Croix Avid in a M/F taper of your prefered length - 6'6" or 7'0". An LTB would also be excellent if its in your price range and like the reel seat. I have a 6'6" m/f Avid and it's my 'all purpose' spinning rod that throws soft plastics, small cranks, small top water, small jerkbaits, etc.

If I only have room for one spinning rod on a trip this is the one I take bc it is more multi purpose in my view.

I know someone mentioned the ML vs M power in a Croix, and they act about a half power heavier then say a comparable Loomis. However I have an LTB 6'6" ML/F and I find it too soft for anything but really light finesse weightless worms, light drop shots, etc. I wouldn't use it as an all purpose rod, and definitely not with 1/4 oz spinnerbaits.

There are lots of great options out there, but that's what I can share about my experience with my St Croix rods. Just do some research and find what's comfortable for you.

Good luck

I'd suggest a St Croix Avid 6'8" M/XF

Avid AVS68MXF

Thank you everybody for the advice, I'm gonna go with a medium power fast action. Hopefully I can find an Avid on sale, otherwise it will probably be a premier.

I find myself leaning more toward ML/XF spinning rods and St Croix tend to fish a little heavier than similar rated rods. Of course the cover and bait you throw will dictate in the end.

Check out the 7' M Fast St. Croix Premier Split Grip. Even comes with a 2-piece option. I've used the 7' ML Fast 2-piece split grip on trout waters from a canoe and loved it. Tight lines!

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/131685-what-spinning-rod/