Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Dobyns Champ Cast Rod 7'3" Mh 733 - Swim Jig Rod

Hey guys! 

I am still in pursuit of my perfect swim jig rod as it is my favorite technique and a lot of days that is all I am throwing. With that being said, I am looking for a light rod that also have a strong backbone and fast action to rip out of hydrilla/coontail. I have a Dobyns Champion Extreme 7'4" Heavy fast action for roller jigs and really like how that fishes swim jigs, but I need it to be a little shorter. Would the 733 fish similarly to that Extreme? 

Also, I am considering a gen 1 cumara 7'2" MH XF - how do those that own this rod feel about it when fishing swim jigs? 

Thanks, 

VC

The 733 is my 1/4-3/8 swim jig rod. Its like they made that rod with swim jigs in mind. Its a little slower in action but not by much than the dx743. Cant say enough about how much i like that rod for swim jigs and chattetbaits.

I would suggest a 734 champ or 734 savvy even as sensitivity in a swim jig is not the most important thing.. and as a college student sometimes cost is for me.. depends on what ya want. I throw my swimmers with straight braid.. and would want a 734 incase I am throwing a 1/2 oz jig.. 50lb braid.. IT WORKS!

I was going to suggest the 734 as well. It is one of the most versatile moving bait rods out there including chatterbaits, swim jigs, buzzbaits, small swimbaits, spinnerbaits and the like. I keep fluoro on mine.

Vinny,  

734 buddy. I agree with Grantman, it's the most versatile rod I have.  It's the only Dobyns casting I have two of. Good tip and great power. It fishes like a 7 footer too. The shut off point in the 734 Savvy is a few inches further into the blank but the power is there. PM me if you have any other questions.

Doug

Thanks for all of your input...If I can find one used at a good price I am going to pull the trigger, so if you know anyone!

In the meantime, I found a 7'1" Diawa Cielo on TW for $60!!! So i thought I would see how that works out first.

Thanks again,

VC