Got1Fishing

Vmc Vs. Trokar Flipping Hooks

Hey guys, 

Just wondering what your opinions and thoughts are on these hook sizes. I know that there isn't a general standard for power and action in the rod industry; every companies taper, action, power is always a little different. I always thought that there was a standard in hooks though? Seems like the VMC is a little longer. 

On my first day of fishing the VMC hook, the bait keeper broke... hoping that was just a fluke and that it's not a reoccurring issue. I would stick with the Trokar ones, but they are so expensive... I ordered 4 15 packs of trokar hooks from TW  when they were having a sale, but TW says they won't have any in stock to send me until May  :cry4: Therefore, I can't justify buying more Trokar hooks when they are double the price of the VMC hooks. 

Here are a couple of pictures: 

Left: Trokar 

Right: VMC

vxf993.jpg

Top: Trokar 

Bottom: VMC 

2mm8vmd.jpg

Left: VMC

Right: Trokar

nyd9qu.jpg

Front: VMC

Back: Trokar

124zkuo.jpg

Left: Trokar 

Right: VMC

1osths.jpg

VMC broken hook keeper:

25zrqmt.jpg

Trokar might be more expensive, but honestly how often do you really loose a hook?

Trokar might be more expensive, but honestly how often do you really loose a hook?

Fishing around zebra mussels I can easily go though 6-12 a day, and most of our lakes have zebra mussels now. That's why I don't buy Trokar or tungsten weights. I'm not a fan of the straight shank, flipping style of hook but the new Ike approved HD wide gap VMCs are very sharp and very strong. 

Have you tried the Gami or Mustad ones?  They look almost identical to those.

I gave up on Trokar because it tore my plastics to all heck. Especially punching in garbage despite the fact they are crazy sharp and penetrate easily.  I went to Denny Brauer (Mustad) flipping hooks and couldn't be happier with those.  Haven't tried the VMC's but they get decent reviews.  

I still have a few Trokar and for some reason to me, it looks like yours is bent inward too much. I don't recall mine being like that.

Fishing around zebra mussels I can easily go though 6-12 a day, and most of our lakes have zebra mussels now. That's why I don't buy Trokar or tungsten weights. I'm not a fan of the straight shank, flipping style of hook but the new Ike approved HD wide gap VMCs are very sharp and very strong. 

I can honestly say there are no zebra mussels in any of the lakes or rivers I fish, the only time I usually loose a lure/hook is when a big pike or musky slam them, and obviously the occasional snag.

I gave up on Trokar because it tore my plastics to all heck. Especially punching in garbage despite the fact they are crazy sharp and penetrate easily.  I went to Denny Brauer (Mustad) flipping hooks and couldn't be happier with those.  Haven't tried the VMC's but they get decent reviews.  

I still have a few Trokar and for some reason to me, it looks like yours is bent inward too much. I don't recall mine being like that.

I compared it to the rest of my Trokar hooks---it's not bent in anymore than the ones I haven't used. 

Have you tried the Gami or Mustad ones?  They look almost identical to those.

I will give the Mustad ones a try! Thanks for that.