Sign in to follow this  
AaronSchneider

New Squarebill Rod-- What Should I Get?

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a new rod and was wondering what you all like to throw your squares on. I'm pretty loyal to G.Loomis and more particularly the IMX line but open to other suggestions as well. Also, what gear ratio do you like best for your reel?

Dobyns 705cb glass

Somewhere around 25ipt. Usually equates to a 6:3

This is still running on Page 1 a few lines down:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/133031-squarebill-and-lipless-crank-rod/

For the reel, Curado G on sale for $90 - $100. The gear ratio is 7.1:1

This is still running on Page 1 a few lines down:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/133031-squarebill-and-lipless-crank-rod/

For the reel, Curado G on sale for $90 - $100. The gear ratio is 7.1:1

my mistake. I will make sure to look harder. I just came to this forum and posted a new topic, didn't even look down the list. Will check that out. My fault.

Powell squarebill rod , powell max 684cb , powell max 704cb 706 cb .. Powell endurance 695cb ...all great stiks

As for reel I prefer 6:4:1 I don't like the 5 to slow and 7 is to fast in my opinion.

Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'10"MH-MF casting rod, it is THE most versatile reaction bait rod I ever used period! I use mine for jerkbaits, lipless crankbaits, square bills, and I have used it for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits and even some mid depth crankbaits and it is awesome for all of it. What is nice is that it is medium heavy with a fast tip so you can rip the bait free from grass and bang a square bill around pretty good but when you hook up, the rod displays an entire different side as you fight the fish, the more the fish surges, the more the rod will give it really is the best of both worlds as most rods I used for square bills and lipless are either too fast or too moderate.