Anyone Hit The Occoquan Reservoir Lately?

big poppa

Went out Saturday for about three hours and had two hook ups with one making it to the boat. Sunday went out for about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes my outboard broke, trailer wench broke, trolling motor bracket broke and got a crankbait stuck in my hand. Tried using the line trick and pliers (bent the hook while it was still in my finger) and couldnt get it out. I got to spend some time in the E.R. but I had a cute nurse and an awesome pic of the x-ray. 

hook

X Ray

• Like 1

Went out Saturday for about three hours and had two hook ups with one making it to the boat. Sunday went out for about 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes my outboard broke, trailer wench broke, trolling motor bracket broke and got a crankbait stuck in my hand. Tried using the line trick and pliers (bent the hook while it was still in my finger) and couldnt get it out. I got to spend some time in the E.R. but I had a cute nurse and an awesome pic of the x-ray.

d**n dude should have went home and played the lotto.

J

• Like 1

Im not sure but it still came close to beating a good day at work. Fixed the trolling motor and gonna fix the winch tomorrow. Gonna go electric only amd go out on Wednesday to celebrate the end of the semester. 

My Costas sunglasses finally arrived....had ordered them after my B-day in march but the color/frame style i wanted were out of stock!   Can't wait to see how well they help me see fish on beds...   I need all the help I can get LOL:P

does not look to be a good weekend for fishing that rain last night put a lot of debris in the water

Any good spots in the area that you know of that won't be as affected by the rain as occ res?  I know the res is pretty bad after heavy rains for a few days.  I'm looking for a spot to take my kayak out.  I frequent the res, mason neck park, occ river, pohick bay.  Do you think any of these places would be better than others tomorrow?

Burke Lake will be a good place to fish. Last big rain we had, went out there and caught them pretty good. I bet you could woop them on a fluke all over the lake!!

Burke Lake will be a good place to fish. Last big rain we had, went out there and caught them pretty good. I bet you could woop them on a fluke all over the lake!!

Cool.  Thanks for the reply.  Now that i think about it, I did hit Burke lake not to long after that last big storm. It's not my favorite lake to hit in this area.  I am very hit or miss on Burke lake.  I have had days when I catch 20+ fish on top water, when they are hitting baitfish over 30 ft of water.  But for every one of those days, there are probably 5 days that I catch absolutely nothing.  Or only a couple of dinks.  I do really well when I fish for catfish in there, but I'm normally targeting bass unless I'm with a friend that doesn't fish often.  

I hear ya! That place is very hit ad miss. Should be a lot of fish guarding fry, shouldn't be too hard to get them to bite! Good luck and let us know how you do!

Anyone know what happened at fountainhead yesterday evening? Got turned around by police officers when pulling in yesterday at 5ish. I heard something about a missing person.

Evidently a disabled child got lost in the woods so they had half of Faifax counties finest looking! Bigger question would be, where were this child's parents??!!

• Like 1

I have not been out in weeks due to illness im better now and ready to go .whats more productive fishing right now upriver ?down by the dam or random coves along the main body ?

I went out ,the hub blew out on the prop so didn't make it far put 10 fish in the boat biggest was close to 2lbs but still had a fun day

Good times. I don't know what the hub is, but hope that doesn't mean you lost your prop in the process.

its a rubber coupler that is pressed into the prop ,prop is still there just spins like a slipping clutch

I went out ,the hub blew out on the prop so didn't make it far put 10 fish in the boat biggest was close to 2lbs but still had a fun day

I lost a whole prop earlier in the season so I know your pain haha. Went twice last week caught a few little ones nothing great but any fish is better than no fish. I had a big 'un smack my swimbait but couldnt connect. 

• Super User

Spent much of last Friday on O Rez, renting a boat out of Fountainhead.  Had my best quantity day ever for that body of water.   Lost count, but it was well over 30.  Never seen anything like it on the Occoquan.   Nearly all were on weightless five inch flukes.  No monsters, but few dinks.  Lot of fun out there.  

Launched out of Bull Run Sunday with a buddy of mine.  Fished mainly between Bull run and the splits and only caught a few since I was teaching my friend everything.  Mainly caught them with white spinnerbait and fliping creature baits in grass.   Hopefully i'll be more productive this weekend.

Went out after work for an hour and manage to connect with a 2lber on a topwater. Heading out in the morning before work.