lordpaxin

Shallow Spool And Braid

hello

PX-R arrived today and I'm curious as to some different tactics used to spool one with braid

Typically I have been rolling half the spool with tape. Tying my knot then taping the knot down over the exposed spool with tape with a slight overlap resulting in 1 layer of tape on the spool with the braid knot sammiched between

However looking at this shallow spool. I am concerned with the space I'll lose with tape

And I don't want a mono backing

Quite possibly I lose less room with the tape as I would with a backing so my method is probably the best for usable capacity of braid

Ideas ?

I saw one guy who ties through the mill holes on spool but that's a cut line gamble

Thanks guys

I always Palomar my open faced reel spools, then install them on the reel.

I like to fill the bathtub or the kitchen sink with hot water, just sling the loose spool from the box of line right in the hot water.

Anything that spool needs to do, it will in that water. No face down this & that, your not painting purple poke a dots on a pink elephant~ sling her in the tub and spool her up.

I had one shallow spool reel, didn't care for it.

One wrap of tape won't make any difference in the spool capacity and is a better choice than tying to the ported spool. All you need is a little traction for the braid so it doesn't slip.

One wrap of tape won't make any difference in the spool capacity and is a better choice than tying to the ported spool. All you need is a little traction for the braid so it doesn't slip.

X2.  One wrap of tape and spool with light braid.  Won't get a lot on that spool unless spooling with 2# mono equivalent.

1 piece of tape takes doesn't reduce line capacity nor does a 2 nd piece over the line in lieu of using a knot, either way there will be no slippage.   Knot or tape over line to the arbor your choice, but tape first on the spool first is a must. Whether backing or straight braid I want all the line I can get on the reel, I don't treat a shallow spool any different.

• Like 2

On my Px68 I used about 1.5 wraps of electrical tape and then tied my braid using an arbor knot as usual. The braid digs into the tape and allows it not to slip. Using #15 power pro braid. I have more than enough on the spool now. I was occasionally hitting my knot using #6 yozuri hybrid. With braid I get down to maybe 1/2 spool of line.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I did use tape like described in OP and spooled on 15# red power pro

No issues

I tied on a 1-8th oz bead weight and threw a cast. Amazing. Flew clear outside of my yard lol