Green Trout

Hooks For Flukes

I use the owner twistlock and vmc EWG hooks. Both are pretty heavy wire. Occasionally I throw flukes on spinning gear with 6-10 lb flouro, then I'll drop down to a lighter wire for a better hook-up ratio.

I'm in a different camp, I prefer offset worm hooks. Then again, I prefer straight shank hooks for fishing worms. 2/0 and 3/0 for the flukes and light wire when using 8lb. or less fluoro.

2/0 Octopus hook, i merely hook the Fluke like you see the banjo minnow hooked. Just simple nose hook.

Any type of double entry tex-posed etc rigging simply kills the natural action of the long soft bodied Fluke. Fished 'em all over the yrs.

Been fishing Zoom Flukes for over a decade, finally settled on 2/0 oct hooks two yrs ago. They rock, hook up even on big big bass is excellent.

3.5" flukes on a 1/0 EWG Gamakatsu worm hook.

5" flukes on a 3/0 EWG Gamakatsu worm hook

For me, a bigger hook impedes the action of the bait. For the fluke, its all about the random, erratic,  action. Larger hooks are a no-go for me.

Owner Lightwire/ cps 2/0 to 4/0

Swimming Hornets

Drop Shot

• Like 1

Gotcha. Sounds like I should get some smaller, light wire hooks. I normally use heavy wire 4/0 but didn't realize that big of a hook was impeding the action.

Gotcha. Sounds like I should get some smaller, light wire hooks. I normally use heavy wire 4/0 but didn't realize that big of a hook was impeding the action.

The owner light wire w/cps is a very strong hook, don't allow the term " light " to deceive you..

3/0 EWG for the super flukes, I don't fish the small ones unless it's on a fish head spin or scrounger. 

• Like 1

Owner Lightwire/ cps 2/0 to 4/0

Swimming Hornets

Drop Shot

I liked the gap on the EWG style hooks but they would sliding down so I started using the Trokar TK-100 HD worm hook and I like it a lot. I was satisfied with that until I went to a flea markert and I found a bunch of packs of the Owner light wire twist lock hooks, now those are my favorite and what I think is the best hook if you're using lighter line. I like the 4" and the 5" flukes and for the 4" I use a 2/0 and a 5" I use a 4/0, even though it is only a 1" difference, the body is wider and a little longer in relation to the tail than the 4" model which is why a 4/0 works. I use River Rock Baits Jointed Jerkbait instead of flukes but they make them is the same sizes and while a 4/0 is good for the 5" model, I found that I can get away with the 3/0 and still have great hook up ratios.

Gammy skipgaps - 2/0, 3/0.

Best hook around for a fluke.

The VMC Drop Dead hooks became my "go to" hook for  5" fluke type baits this year,  I use the 4/0 with either 1/16th or 1/8th oz. weight. When I want to go weight-less, I'll use a 5/0 VMC EWG hook, regular wire or heavy wire depending on what rate of fall I want. I don't fish a 3.5" bait much, other than on a drop shot, so I can't help you there.

Gammy skipgaps - 2/0, 3/0.

Best hook around for a fluke.

Agree...

tried them all but settled on the skip gap.

I use 4/0

Mike

• Like 1

3.5" flukes on a 1/0 EWG Gamakatsu worm hook.

5" flukes on a 3/0 EWG Gamakatsu worm hook

For me, a bigger hook impedes the action of the bait. For the fluke, its all about the random, erratic,  action. Larger hooks are a no-go for me.

^^^^^ This right here^^^^^