pbizzle

Who Makes A Big Giant Football Jig?

Who makes a big giant football jig? I know it's not really tome for huge lures, but I'm already wanting to start stocking up for next year. I always seem to catch pigs in deepwater on jigs, no matter what time of year it is. This year I want to try going bigger for deeper water. Most 1/2oz-1oz football jigs seem to come with a 2.5" to 3" skirt, and about a 4/0 hook. I'm looking for some BIG football jigs in the 3/4oz-1.25oz range. I don't really know the exact size that I'm looking for, but I want one that will accommodate a full sized brush hog, 5" chigger craw, or a rage tail lobster. I know that I can fish baits this size on a regular jig, because I have with success, but I'd like a larger skirt for a bigger profile and a larger hook (for confidence). Something like I read about guys down in Mexico using. Any reccomendations?

Have you looked at the Buckeye Mop Jigs? They have 1/2 oz and  3/4 oz Football Jigs and the Living rubber gives it a VERY big profile. I put a full size paca craw on one.

You don't need a football jig over 1 ounce for deep water bass fishing. How deep are talking about and why do you think a heavy 5/0+ hook size is needed?

I use 1/2 and 3/4 oz jigs to 40 feet deep with Gamakatsu size 5/0 #114 jig hook, .046 dia forged wire. Heavy jig hooks are over .062 dia wire, much harder to get a good hook set with heavy wire hooks in deep water.

Tom

Revenge also makes a 1oz football jig.with 5/0 hook.

If you can deal with a arky head in 1/2 oz, TNT baits wadda bomb is a nice mop jig with a 5/0 hook and living rubber.

• Like 1

Terry Oldham's Eye Max Jig

5/0 Siwash Salmon Hook

3/4, 1.0, & 1 1/4 oz

You don't need a football jig over 1 ounce for deep water bass fishing. How deep are talking about and why do you think a heavy 5/0+ hook size is needed?

I use 1/2 and 3/4 oz jigs to 40 feet deep with Gamakatsu size 5/0 #114 jig hook, .046 dia forged wire. Heavy jig hooks are over .062 dia wire, much harder to get a good hook set with heavy wire hooks in deep water.

Tom

Revenge also makes a 1oz football jig.with 5/0 hook.

The deepest I'll be fishing is 35' deep. We seem to catch A LOT of bass in the summer stroking a jig, and we usually get more bites with a faster fall rate. So 1 ounce + jigs are best a lot of the time. I also like to fish a 3/4 to 1 ounce football most of the time (except prespawn and winter when a 3/4 ounce is as heavy as I'll fish, and that's rare), because I like to have a better feel of the bottom. I would like a larger hook, but that's just for my personal confidence. I've gotten a lot of my trailers back with tooth marks right behind the hook, and while I know it was probably just a small bass or a bite I didn't feel, I still like my hook to have a longer shank when I'm using larger trailers. It's the same reason I won't use anything smaller than a 5/0 with a 10" worm.

Terry Oldham's Eye Max Jig

5/0 Siwash Salmon Hook

3/4, 1.0, & 1 1/4 oz

Try these!

Try these!

Thanks! I'm going to get a few of these and some Big O jigs, because I really want to try Siebert's jigs a shot. I'm glad you helped me out WRB. I posted this knowing that you'd be able to provide some good information.

If you can deal with a arky head in 1/2 oz, TNT baits wadda bomb is a nice mop jig with a 5/0 hook and living rubber.

Also on the tnt jigs you can chip the paint to save your life if that matters to you, but I would just say make your own.

Thanks! I'm going to get a few of these and some Big O jigs, because I really want to try Siebert's jigs a shot. I'm glad you helped me out WRB. I posted this knowing that you'd be able to provide some good information.

The Siebert jig uses Owner 5304 heavy wire deep throat hook, haven't tried this hook for deep water presentations.

Good luck.

Tom