Sign in to follow this  
ChrisWi

Spinning Rod Jerkbait Setup

I fish a lot of smaller jerkbaits in my local rivers, most being under 3/8, what action/power rod do you like for jerkbaits on spinning setups. Also, would it be best to use a fluro line so that it sits nose down? Thanks.

I use a 6'8" Cumara Med./Ext. Fast w/6lb. Sufix Floro to throw the lil Jerks and love that setup for that purpose. Those little Jerks have turned a few bad days into decent ones. Brian.

I use a 6'3" medium power/fast action Fenwick elite tech smallmouth. I like a shorter rod because I work the rod almost vertical with hard snaps 90% of the time. If you can find one of these rods I definitely recommend it. Throws anything from 1/8 oz to 5/8 oz a long way for a short rod. It also doubles as a great rod to skip docks and trees with

For really small jerkbaits, like a #10 Xrap or 65 pointer, I've found my dropshot rod works well (6' 10" ML/XF). Little bit bigger baits I switch to a 6' 8" M/F. I don't like fluoro with jerkbaits so can't comment on that part. 

Why do you like the jerk bait with the nose pointing down?

I use a 6'3" medium power/fast action Fenwick elite tech smallmouth. I like a shorter rod because I work the rod almost vertical with hard snaps 90% of the time. If you can find one of these rods I definitely recommend it. Throws anything from 1/8 oz to 5/8 oz a long way for a short rod. It also doubles as a great rod to skip docks and trees with

Ah man, this makes me wish that I picked that rod up for 64.99.....

I prefer a 7' ML/F Avid with a Procyon 2000 and 5lb PP.  I can fling small jerkbaits quite far with this setup.

For really small jerkbaits, like a #10 Xrap or 65 pointer, I've found my dropshot rod works well (6' 10" ML/XF). Little bit bigger baits I switch to a 6' 8" M/F. I don't like fluoro with jerkbaits so can't comment on that part.

might have to try my drop shot setup for this, when I make my trip up to the St Croix store I'm planning on getting a few of their "seconds" rods

Length would be up to you, but I'd be looking to throw it on a M/F or ML/XF. The extra fast tip on the medium light will still let you get the action out of the bait without acting like a limp noodle. 

tw has the "jerkbait" crucial on sale right now m/f might be something to check out...

not sure what croix seconds go for though probably some good deals I bet.

might have to try my drop shot setup for this, when I make my trip up to the St Croix store I'm planning on getting a few of their "seconds" rods

Their store is a dangerous place to be, the bait monkey waits for you in the parking lot and then attacks as you walk in the door. They've got some great deals on seconds depending on when you go. One year they had LTB's @ $120 if you bought one $99 each if you bought 2 and $79 a piece if you bought 3 or more.

Their store is a dangerous place to be, the bait monkey waits for you in the parking lot and then attacks as you walk in the door. They've got some great deals on seconds depending on when you go. One year they had LTB's @ $120 if you bought one $99 each if you bought 2 and $79 a piece if you bought 3 or more.

I know people that have gotten Avids for $30, hopefully I'm that lucky. I'll have a pocket full of cash.

I know people that have gotten Avids for $30, hopefully I'm that lucky. I'll have a pocket full of cash.

I got an Xtreme last year that had been re-tipped for $50. It is missing a few inches and is a lot stiffer than it was originally so it isn't perfect for what it was intended, but it works pretty well for other techniques.  I'm betting those pockets will be pretty close to empty when you leave haha!

I use a 6'8" Cumara Med./Ext. Fast w/6lb. Sufix Floro to throw the lil Jerks and love that setup for that purpose. Those little Jerks have turned a few bad days into decent ones. Brian.

This is what I use as well.

Your line must have stretch in it!  Never braid for this.

Lines that stretch do not impart all the action you give while working the jerk bait. With braid, every twitch and jerk I do to the bait is transmitted right to the bait. That's what I'm looking for.

Lines that stretch do not impart all the action you give while working the jerk bait. With braid, every twitch and jerk I do to the bait is transmitted right to the bait. That's what I'm looking for.

The problem is the spinning reel.  When you are jerking the bait loops can form on the spool.  A spinning reel likes constant pressure on the line. 

I have also noticed that braid allows slack on jumps that gives the bass opportunity to throw the bait.

• Like 1

The problem is the spinning reel.  When you are jerking the bait loops can form on the spool.  A spinning reel likes constant pressure on the line. 

I have also noticed that braid allows slack on jumps that gives the bass opportunity to throw the bait.

I agree with this. Using braid with lures using treble hooks is a big no-no in my book. You need stretch/give with treble hooks; both to get it further in their mouth and to have more pull-back when they jump. In the end, each person will find their perfect match, though!

I caught A LOT of smallmouth and largemouth on jerk baits with spinning gear and braided line. If I give a little tug on the line to remove any loops that might be forming at the spool before I start my retrieve, I don't have any problems while working the bait back to the boat. I also haven't found I get any slack line that allows fish to throw the bait while using braid. At least no more than while fishing any other lines. Smallies just have a natural talent for throwing baits back at you.

I like to use a shorter rod for small jerkbaits gives you great control. 6' medium/fast action.

I also recommend braid but any line will work.

And i'm sorry but the braid is bad with trebles/whatever is a bunch of hooey. User error (which most of the time is not enough time spent with using the setup and dismissing it before learning it)

• Like 2