Santana_moretto_fishing

Can Someone Explain Why To Fish North Ends Of Points?

Can someone Explain Why To Fish North Ends Of Points? I have heard a lot of people refer to this can someone explain this very simply?

Thanks Santana

What if it runs east & west ?

• Like 1

I've always heard north west warms first, but I don't know if this is true or if they are connected. That's all the knowledge I've got on that.

I've always heard north west warms first, but I don't know if this is true or if they are connected. That's all the knowledge I've got on that.

That is true...because the sun hits there longer during the spring months in the northern hemispere

• Like 1

Personally, I've never heard this. It does have some validity for those points extending out from the east or west.

The north side would receive the LEAST amount of sun and therefore the most shade. It would also be the side protected from strong north or west winds.

Although I'm always looking at shade and wind when searching for active fish, I never considered which side (north/south) of a point to focus on. My choice was/is based on the side with the best structure leading up to the shallows.

• Like 1

Can someone Explain Why To Fish North Ends Of Points? I have heard a lot of people refer to this can someone explain this very simply?

Thanks Santana

If you are going to fish a point, you should generally fish the whole thing. The idea you are applying here deals with the fact that the north side of lakes can be protected from cold north winds.

Fishing the north sides of points is ambiguous. If the point runs south to north, then the north side is the whole point itself. If it runs north to south, then the north side is not even in the water. It's a good idea to focus on good looking spots that are protected from north winds during the winter though from my experience.

Never heard of it described as points, but the NW part of northern natural lakes have long been known to warm up faster than the rest of the lake once we experience ice out.

Thanks Santana

I've never heard this and it appears the others havent either .

Its all about the sun son

Try walking on the side of the street with the sun in the dead of winter versus the shaded side.. the bass like the sun in winter.. sunfish family

I do like points...andi fish every avalable inch of em...nomatter the direction lol

I do have a couple rules though...spring and fall i concentrate in the sunny sides...summer i concentrate on the shady side.

I prefer the deeper side of the point more often than not or unless i know for sure the fish are up shallow

I agree with those that talk about the north west part of the lake being warmer during those cold fronts in southern lakes. I have read in several books and magazines that the north west is shelter more by the bank, trees, hills, sometimes mountains, and gets a longer exposure to sun in the winter. Always made sense to me. When I fish Okeechobee in winter I always like the north west side of the lake. A lot of tournaments won in that part of the O. I always remembered the information going back 40 years. Good discussion topic!

I don't know about the points as much, unless there are drop offs adjacent to the points.

I've never heard that expression.

You'll need to be more specific about north-facing points

Roger

• Like 1