Sign in to follow this  
Delaware Valley Tackle

Yum Money Hound?

Anyone using these? Do you prefer them to Spooks, or use them in different conditions? 

I've used a few 'Pickle Baits' before... But I'm not a huge fan of them. Maybe I should give them another chance. I just prefer a spook in open water, and a frog for the slop/heavy cover... Many times I can imitate a shad just as well with a frog then I can the pickle... They may be easier to cast if they are weighted well because of their shape.. But I've never thought about it.  

Can't say I like them more than spooks, but they are one of my favorites. I like to throw these when there's vegetation right beneath the water or throw them into the thickest crap I can! When I see fish boiling but wont hit my spook I tend to throw one. Casting distance is great too. Give them a try!

i used them and my hook-up percentage was like 0 but i wanted a spook type bait to use over top of pads or grass and i picked up the snag proof weed demon and i loved it, it walks great and since than i bought about 5 but i wanna give the manns ghost a try, ever try one?

Can't say I like them more than spooks, but they are one of my favorites. I like to throw these when there's vegetation right beneath the water or throw them into the thickest crap I can! When I see fish boiling but wont hit my spook I tend to throw one. Casting distance is great too. Give them a try!

Mike, this is a very good description of the bait from my findings. They have two sizes but the smaller size is plenty heavy and sufficient. They cast well distance wise but accuracy can be hit or miss. Rig them on a big enough hook preferably a 5/0 EWG hook. Using a bigger hook or a heavy duty hook can cause a decrease in baits ability to float. The insides of the baits contain some form of a foam like substance that as the bait becomes more used and worn stuggles to float and stay together. Having mend-it on hand will help some. I have caught a few great fish for my region on them. They walk well and are basically like a weedless spook. Can be fished in the same places you would toss a hollow belly frog but it is better in the fact that once the weedline ends you have a walk the do bait the rest of the way to the boat. I would look at the baby bass color and the black color to start. See if they fit your needs/wants. They are a productive bait for me no doubt.

I haven't thrown them yet, but I will this year. They will definitely have a place in my area. 

Mike I'll send you mine.

The two closest lakes to me are kinda choked with semi-emergent weeds I guess you could say. Big flats where a lot of grass is laying over on top but lots of holes where weeds don't break the surface. I fish frogs there but when I look at the Money Hounds I can envision what kickerfish describes. They're cheap enough to try I was just curious what you guys thought. Thanks for the input.

I haven't thrown them yet, but I will this year. They will definitely have a place in my area. 

They're a killer over the grass at Bone.

I have several packs and really like them. I wouldn't say I like them more than a spook, but you can fish them in places a spook can't go and that's why I bought them. Hardest part is finding a hook that fits them. 

They're a killer over the grass at Bone.

I have several packs and really like them. I wouldn't say I like them more than a spook, but you can fish them in places a spook can't go and that's why I bought them. Hardest part is finding a hook that fits them.

They almost look like a 1-2 fish plastic... Horny toads killed it at bone

Are these still being made? Not seeing them on the Yum, Lurenet or Tackle Wharehouse websites.

I used them a few seasons ago and had a heck of a time hooking up with them after blowups.  They are able to be cast into anything and they will cast a mile too.  Yo can find them in the sale Walmart bins all the time....

I got some from clearance bin somewhere -- the larger size, I believe.  I found them difficult to rig - I settled on 5/0 EWG, but never was happy -- the plastic is so hard that it won't compress - the hook needs to swing out on the hookset -- that is, if you want it rigged weedless...then again, if you don't need it weedless, you might as well throw trebles.   I admit it would cast a mile, but I never had the confidence or patience to fish it long enough to get a strike.

They almost look like a 1-2 fish plastic... Horny toads killed it at bone

Yeah, pretty much. A swimbait hook with a screwlock helps them to last a little longer.

If you fish them on a frogging setup it's much easier to get hookups.