Sign in to follow this  
livemusic

Good Scale To Weigh Fish

Can anyone recommend a decent scale? Digital is nice, but, hmmm... if the batteries run down...

What do you like?

i have been in the same situation and once funds allow it, I will be getting a boga grip.  Allows me to control the fish and get a weight at the same time and being I fish from a kayak, space is always at a premium.

If you have an academy near you go pick up their house brand tournament choice scale, the one I bought it pretty accurate (5lb bag of sugar in a Walmart bag was 5lb 1oz). I think its around 15$ and its digital.

Get a $3 luggage scale off eBay, and a pair of fish grips ( plastic ones- like vice grips)

Problem solved for about $15.

• Like 2

I Use A Boga Grip , It's Manual But , Hands Down You Cannot Beat It. Very Accurate.

My 2 Cents 

Mike

Brecknell Digital Handheld Scale by ElectroSamson - 22-lb Capacity - 1/4 oz Precision (0.02 lb)

At one time, this was the only IGFA-approved 'digital' scale (others may have since been added)

Don't worry your head about batteries. My Brecknell scale has gotten heavy use for the past couple years,

and my backup 9v battery is still sitting the my dry box, dusty & lonely.

My only complaint:  It's not as compact as my other digital scales and takes up undue space in the dry box.

Roger

I saved up for a 15lb Boga Grip. Worth the money, IMO.

I also have with me a Field & Stream digital scale that I

paid $25 for at Dick's Sporting Goods. It is good, and 

quite accurate. I've compared it and the Boga and they

have been spot on with each other - though obviously

the digiscale gives more specific weight.

• Like 1

The rapala mini digital scale works great for me, i have weighed over about 300 bass with it and it still works great, sometimes about 1 to 4 ounces off, never more than that though. but if you did have the money, boga grip is the BEST.

Brecknell Electro Samson

Get a $3 luggage scale off eBay, and a pair of fish grips ( plastic ones- like vice grips)

Yep. Works splendid

• Like 1

Baker grip, just as good as a Boga, at half the price. They have a digital also.

• Like 1

What ever scale we use we need to calibrate them when we first buy them. If it's off more than one ounce take it back and buy a different brand. A #4 bag of sugar is a good test. I have a Rapala digital and a tiny Zebco mechanical and they both are right on the mark with a #4 bag of sugar. Go figure. But the Zebco is only calibrated in half pound marks. It's small and cheap.

I use a 15 lb Boga and one of these ~

A-Jay

AJ Scale (1)

Just make sure you calibrate it correctly.  When you weigh a 5 pound bag of sugar it should read 6-7 pounds.

• Like 1

I think you mentioned this in a previous post, and I looked into this. Is there a way to zero out the scale after adding a fish grip to it?

I got an ultra sport 30 based on advice here...small and very accurate. Under 30 bucks too!

I think you mentioned this in a previous post, and I looked into this. Is there a way to zero out the scale after adding a fish grip to it?

Yes. It has a tare button.