Sign in to follow this  
scottprice

How Do I Choose Rod Length? And Power?

i have an Abu Garcia Ambassedeur that i use for throwing big spinnerbaits, frogs and swimbaits for the most part. Im thinking of getting a 7'6"MH rod for it

I also have a Quantum Kinetic PT that i use for spinnerbaits, jigs, and cranks. Im thinking about getting a 7'M rod..

Any advice here? I never really knew how to choose proper rod length/power

Thats alright I am sure. The MH might be better for the jigs unless they are fairly light and I would probably throw the swimbaits on the M cause I like more give in a rod with those. It also might be a little tuff walking a frog with a 7'6" unless you pretty tall or high above the water.

Rod length is a matter of preference. I like shorter rods from the bank because there's trees all around me and I don't want to hit any of them. 

• Like 1

It all depends on what you like and what you feel good fishing with.  I have some 6'6" and some 7' rods.  I hardly ever use the 7' rods.

I choose length based on what I'm using the rod for and what I'm comfortable with. I have 2 spinnerbait rods, one is a 6'6" MH-F, this is my main rod as I target fish spinnerbaits which is short distance roll casting with a high degree of accuracy as I'm putting the spinnerbait in tight spots. My other is a 7' MH-F, this is my versatile spinnerbait rod, if I'm going on a friends boat I'll use that as I can also use it to pitch jigs and soft plastics with and get more distance than I can with the 6'6". Now you are saying that you are throwing big spinnerbaits, frogs, and swimbaits with an Ambassedeur reel and a 7'6" MH would be a good length and power to use with that sort of stuff and if you like longer rods then it will work just fine. Now you also have it right with the other rod, spinnerbaits, jigs and cranks, you can go longer but 7'M-F is a versatile set up, the only thing is you are using a medium power, I'm assuming that is because you want to throw cranks along with other stuff and that is perfect, but remember, with that deal you will have to keep your jigs and spinnerbaits on the smaller size but other than that you have a good hold on your rod selection.

In a perfect world I would rather not fish all on the same rod but it's not out of the question. Generally speaking longer rods cast further and shorter are better for accuracy. Special circumstances such as shoreline brush and comfort from the kayak are reasonable considerations also. As for choosinga  power the terms are subjective. I'd start by looking for lure weight range that encompasses the weight you want to cast bearing in mind that the sweet spot usually lies near the middle of the posted range and that different rods are more or less forgiving on the extreme ends than others. Only experience can tell for sure. The other piece to consider is cover being fished. Heavier cover deserves a more powerful rod but there are some rods that cast a realively light weight but have massive power in the butt section. When you say big spinnerbaits are you talking 3/4oz>? Do you have a brand(s) of rod in mind? I'd be looking at a M & MH in a St Croix Avid or MH & H from a line that fishes lighter. 

I fish from a kayak all of the time now. I don't prefer rods over 7'3 as you are generally sitting closer to the water and I find longer and heavier rods to be a pain especially in and around cover. I like to use 7' rods, makes it easier to pitch and work in the kayak. I'd get a 7' or 7'3 MH and a 7'M. The medium could be used for cranks, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, topwater. The MH for everything else. Or like DVT said get a MH and H.

I fish from a kayak alot and I really only carry two do all rods to keep it simple.  The first one is a 6'6" MH Falcon Buccoo spinning rod (could also be a Med. rod that's not too soft). this rod I use for throwing everything from soft plastics to spinnerbaits. It's my workhorse setup. I find spinning gear a little easier to use from a seated position in a kayak. That being said, my other rod is a 7ft. Hvy. Falcon original that I use for throwing frogs. Were i fish its shallow laydowns and slop so I don't really need a rod for crankbaits but if I did a 7ft. med rod would be the one other rod I could see myself needing.