Sign in to follow this  
The Fisher

What's Your Favorite Type And Brand Of Weight For Dropshotting?

Do you use bullet or ball weight? I use tungsten on TX Rigs but is it necessary for a drop shot weight?

What's your favorite brand?

Teardrop or stick weight just lead never tried tungsten befor

here's my favorites in order

1.tear drop

2.tear drop

3. tear drop

and you can buy these in any brand

lead 1/2 ounce lindy walking sinker for hard bottom, or the slinky for weedless, It comes through anything clean.....I prefer River Walleye weights for drop shotting.

My favorite kind is one I don't have to use because I can't catch a fish on a drop shot to save my life! 

Tear drop and moon shape

I use the finesse weights and I make them myself.  I lose too many to buy them!  For deep or heavy water, I use the 1.25oz and up pencil sinkers, which I cast myself also.

Whatever I can get on sale.  IMO it doesn't really matter much as long as I can feel the bottom with the weight.

• Like 1

Good 'ol water gremlin dipsey swivel teardrop weights. Cheap and effective

• Like 1

I like the Voss dropshot weights.  They make the one that is shaped like a banana, and I find that doesn't get hung up as often as the other shapes I've used.

I like the Voss dropshot weights.  They make the one that is shaped like a banana, and I find that doesn't get hung up as often as the other shapes I've used.

I use voss also,I've never tried the banana shaped ones, are the worth trying? In the lakes I fish there's a lot of rock type structure would they reduce the chance of getting Hung up?

1/4-20 stainless nyloc hex nut...easily 1/3 the price of most regular dropshot sinkers, and 50X cheaper than tungsten. Only a nickel each if you buy in bulk. In deep water, just add a second one to the line. The nylon insert protects the line. :wink4: The fish are watching the worm, not the sinker...

-T9

• Like 1

I use voss also,I've never tried the banana shaped ones, are the worth trying? In the lakes I fish there's a lot of rock type structure would they reduce the chance of getting Hung up?

I feel that the banana shape does help around rocks.  A majority of time I use a drop shot is on Lake Erie when I am fishing for SMB around rocks and boulders in 20' of water, or more.

Only ones I have used are the cylindrical ones that you don't have to tie on.  Voss makes them.

I feel that the banana shape does help around rocks.  A majority of time I use a drop shot is on Lake Erie when I am fishing for SMB around rocks and boulders in 20' of water, or more.

Ok, thanks I'll deffenetly try them,lately I've been spending a fortune on drop shot weights.

My favorite kind is one I don't have to use because I can't catch a fish on a drop shot to save my life!

That has to be impossible. I'm pretty sure a drop shot can catch fish in a puddle on the side of the road.

• Like 1

Most of mine are from Top Brass Tackle and are all tungsten and the thin type. Rarely use the teardrop shape unless I really need it to stick to the bottom . With drop shotting I could care less about feeling the bottom. I just want to know that my weight is down there.  I only care to feel the fish bite.

Banana shape are good in that they increase surface area touching ground compared to pencil. This transmits more to your rod. Same applies to tear drop.

Also banana lays on top of grass more than sliding down through like a pencil.

My favorite is a Bitsy Bug jig, yes I'll use a jig for the weight on a drop shot when I'm using a longer lead from the weight to the bait. It works great sometimes I get them on the finesse bait (usually a robo worm) sometimes on the jig. Sitting here thinking about it, a shaky head might be a better choice, I keep forgetting about that technique. Why not double your chances?

That has to be impossible. I'm pretty sure a drop shot can catch fish in a puddle on the side of the road.

Add me to the drop shot doesn't work camp.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will, and I fish some well known drop shot lakes (Table Rock, Bull Shoals, Beaver). I'll stumble into a fish every now and again, but I catch more fish each year on big swimbaits than I do a drop shot. It's not that I don't try either. I've got the gear from special hooks, weights, a rod and reel dedicated to dropshots, and a bag of small worms/minnows just for drop shotting. It makes sense 100% in my mind why it should work, it just rarely does for some reason. 

I don't care about the brand but they have to be cylinder shaped if I'm gonna be fishing in rocks, which I usually am. They just snag less often. Tungsten!? Too pricey for weights you're gonna lose regularly if fishing any kind of cover, imo. I like 1/8, 3/16, and 3/8 only for really deep fish.

The Drop Shot rig takes practice, I would still consider myself a relative Novice and I use it shallow so Iike to feel bottom and a heavier weight often helps me not move it too much, I found that my problem was I wanted to shake it like a shaky head, the key to the drop shot is barely moving it, and I also found the swivel hooks help with line twist...The Fish do not seem to mind too many swivels, plus Tsunami makes a swivel that is super strong and so tiny you can tie it to braid and barely see it.....

I would suggest watching videos on how to tie it correctly, I found that the Owner Downshot hooks was good, but I never trust a Palmar knot on Fluoro, I only llike the Improved Clinch Knot personally, and I often drop shot with Mono and in weeds I have had success but I only use the drop shot when I know fish are in a spot, I never use it to find fish.....I also have found that the right bait is key, I do best with the KVD Dropshot  Bait for some reason. Nose hooking seems to give the bait the best action, but for me, the Split shot rig is more useful in the water I fish than a drop shot for me....

Somebody who is good with the drop shot barely moves the bait, for me that is hard to do, I love to shake and move stuff, and it causes issues and never works as well for me...Not as easy as some make it out to be....The Mojo rig or split shot rig and floating soft bait is my answer. Bait is higher than weight so same principle and easier to cast and retrieve, I don't fish deep clear water much.

I usually fish around grass, so I prefer the Pencil style, If you fish deep, maybe you would want the teardrop style. Because I fish grass  and soft bottoms (mostly) , I don't have the need to feel every tick off of every pebble, so its lead for me. No point in buying and using tungsten if I am not going to get its benefits. When I do fish around snaggy cover I'd rather lose a lead weight than a tungsten weight.  Plus, once you get familiar with the spot you are dropshotting, you will already know what is down there, and you shouldn't need the "advanced sensitivity" of a tungsten weight.