Sign in to follow this  
fishinbub

Any Mold Makers?

I've been interested in pouring my own soft plastics for years but stayed too busy with school. Finished my BS in May and have had a little free time on my hands this summer while I'm looking for work. Being light on cash I decided to experiment and see what I could come up with around the house to make soft plastic baits. I had to spend maybe $10-$12 at Walmart...but most of the stuff I already had around the house. Results have been pretty good so far...the bass in my avatar came on a supersized salamander imitation I came up with. Anybody else making their own molds for soft plastic baits?

Heres my creation. I carved the model out of a piece of 2x4 

04-07-2015%20002.jpg

• Like 1

The worm I made was originally  designed for deep fishing but the end product was more suited for shallow water .Weightless it walks the dog but I have had the best luck with a 1/4 ounce sinker and fished shallow. Every worm has a bubble in the nose , not on purpose , so the bait has to be pegged. I melt used plastics and pour them in the plaster of Paris mold. I have some other models carved out , but havent made molds for them .

There's quite a few companies that make CNC molds.  Just Google "cnc lure molds".

But, if you're looking for more custom/hand-made molds.  Check out tackleunderground.com.  There is a bunch of guys that would either sell their stuff or make you a custom mold you want.

The last option would be Makelure.com, and just make your own.  It's a tad more expensive than Wal-Mart, but it's specifically for lure making.

I used to pour alot more than i do now, but I developed lung issues so I have slowed way down. I began making molds insted. Here is a 6" ribbed swimbait

6 in ribbed swimbait.jpg

6  in ribbed swimbait mold.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/15/2016 at 5:26 AM, Dave A said:

I used to pour alot more than i do now, but I developed lung issues so I have slowed way down. I began making molds insted. Here is a 6" ribbed swimbait

6 in ribbed swimbait.jpg

6  in ribbed swimbait mold.jpg

Do you sell the molds you make? I have been looking for more custom molds to pour.

• Like 1

im a machinist/programmer we make molds from time to time but its pretty d**n expensive for shop rate up here in Massachusetts but im sure if you go to a local machine shop and tell them what youre looking for they will give you a quote.  Material of mold is a cost factor depending on its machinability as well.