Sign in to follow this  
wcbeagle

Slow Flaring Jig Skirts

What type of material makes for a slow flaring jig skirt? I just started pouring my on jigs and am having good luck with the largemouth, but the smallmouth don't care for them. Fished with a friend last Friday and he caught 7 to my 2. We were both fishing black jigs and I was fishing in front of him in the same boat. We both had on the same trailers. The only differences we could see was the rate at which the skirts flared. Both skirts were cut to the same length with the same number of strands (37) . The fall rate was the same. The skirts I am using are pre-made and are made from silicone. The package his jig came in said the skirt was also made of silicone. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're looking for living rubber. 

You poured your own and your friend bought his, so what kind of head does each jig have? if the flare is different then the fall rate should be a little slower on the one with more flare but there could be a ton or reasons like where you're fishing. I say that because I've had days when I was only getting bit when my jig was right next to the laydowns, and it was so critical that if I was just a few inches away my jig didn't get as much as a sniff but if I was right next to log I'd get a good bite, fishing is like that, not everything can be explained.

Look into starflash skirts as they flare more than flat silicone. They can be found any place that sells luremaking supplies including BPS.

Allen