WestonFLBassFishing

Tough Winter Break in South Florida

I've been having trouble finding a bait that consistently catches fish during this winter break. I tried lizards, senkos, flukes, even grubs and all have caught fish but they haven't been consistent. So for about a week I've been throwing this Berkeley power bait pre rigged swim bait I got over the holidays and it's been slaying fish, more importantly the big ones. Today I caught a lunker but I didn't bring a scale with me. I'd say somewhere about 5-5 and a quarter but I could be way off. Thoughts ?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hard to tell the weight of a bass in a picture but I would say that bass is easily over 5 pounds .What was the length and girth? 

@FloridaFishinFool I absolutely love them. Got them as a gift over the holidays. I've been using the 3 incher in shad color.

@soflabasser I didn't get those measurements tbh. Wish I brought a scale with me but I know forsure it didn't pass my pb and I'm happy with the great fight she gave.

Looks like you're in the neighborhood of what that fish should weigh. 

I'm down here in Broward. What's been working for me is a KVD squarebill crank bait in a shad color. I've caught multiple fish on it. Not sure how much the fish below weighs since my scale is dead I would say a good 4 pounds.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Those are some nice ones guys! Weston my best guess on yours is probably what you said. Somewhere between 5 and 6. Certainly has a big head but without knowing the girth it is real tough to determine on a picture. Heck sometimes even when holding them we tend to over estimate. I purchased a cheap scale on Ebay (Chinese Made). No name brand just to have a better idea of the fish weights. I expected it to be junk but when I got it I was very impressed. I've had it for 2 years and it still works. Now as far as accurately weighing I would say it isn't perfect but it is close enough.

I have been doing some swimbait fishing lately cause I pour my own and I've caught some pretty decent fish on them.

James the KVD Squarebills you use what depth do you find is best. I own 3 of them in 3 different colors and they run pretty shallow. I've really wanted to catch fish on cranks for a while but I always tend to go back to soft plastics because the cranks just aren't getting the job done.

WestonFLBassFishing that's a Sunshine State Mutant for sure ~

Congrats

A-Jay

4 hours ago, James Frise said:

I'm down here in Broward. What's been working for me is a KVD squarebill crank bait in a shad color. I've caught multiple fish on it. Not sure how much the fish below weighs since my scale is dead I would say a good 4 pounds.

image.jpeg

Hello James and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

Congrats on that Squarebill caught Fatty !

A-Jay

15 minutes ago, SFL BassHunter said:

Those are some nice ones guys! Weston my best guess on yours is probably what you said. Somewhere between 5 and 6. Certainly has a big head but without knowing the girth it is real tough to determine on a picture. Heck sometimes even when holding them we tend to over estimate. I purchased a cheap scale 

James the KVD Squarebills you use what depth do you find is best. I own 3 of them in 3 different colors and they run pretty shallow. I've really wanted to catch fish on cranks for a while but I always tend to go back to soft plastics because the cranks just aren't getting the job done.

I use ones that are pretty shallow as well and I like for the bait to rise up to the top for cranking it again.

caught a bunch on those baits. Keep a pack or two in my bag. For those who don't use them....try them...

23 hours ago, James Frise said:

I use ones that are pretty shallow as well and I like for the bait to rise up to the top for cranking it again.

That is how I work mine too.

nice fish dude.. my PB came out of Weston.. there are some big fish back in there