Sign in to follow this  
Brett's_daddy

Academy Sports Sale?

I seem to remember people saying that Academy Sports has a big sale some time in February...am I remembering correctly? If so, any ideas when in February? I'd like to get a new H2o rod.

They have weekly sales. Their lower end rods are on sale this week at the store by me. I check their website every week for their weekly sales. Haven't heard anything about a big sale coming up though. 

They are trying to get rid of clothes right now. 

What I have found are random "closeout" prices are everyday tackle. Recently I picked up a couple of McSticks for $4.98. Sunline Sniper regularly $29.99 on sale for $14.  The closeout pricing is simply a marketing ploy for this company, the specific mechandise is rarely discontinued.

The point is, stop by often and see what they have because it is not necessarily advertised.

:fishing-026:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

They are trying to get rid of clothes right now. 

What I have found are random "closeout" prices are everyday tackle. Recently I picked up a couple of McSticks for $4.98. Sunline Sniper regularly $29.99 on sale for $14.  The closeout pricing is simply a marketing ploy for this company, the specific mechandise is rarely discontinued.

The point is, stop by often and see what they have because it is not necessarily advertised.

:fishing-026:

That's the big thing with Academy. They'll often have bunches of stuff on sale or clearance that isn't advertised anywhere. I bought them out of almost all their Owner and Gamakatsu hooks that were marked $.48-$.98 a pack a month or so ago. Wasn't advertised anywhere, just stopped in and found them on sale and no way I'm leaving something like quality hooks that I know I'll use for less than a buck a pack. Mcsticks were also on sale but for $7 a bait, still a good enough deal that I bought over a dozen.

Yeah, I bought a couple for $7 and then they moved them to another spot and lowered the "closeout" to $4.98.

Sounds like I better get back and check again then. There was still a bunch left even after I bought all those because they were still marked their original price. 

Maybe I was confused...maybe it's Bass Pro Shops that has a big sale in February???

yes, BPS usually has the "spring classic"

i wouldn't consider it much of a sale though...  certainly nothing to make me want to drive to the store.

• Like 2

The problem with Academy is that you have to be there and sometimes while one store has something on sale/clearance another one nearby doesn´t, ( at least that has been my experience ) It´s a good time to purchase winter clothes right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, buzzed bait said:

yes, BPS usually has the "spring classic"

i wouldn't consider it much of a sale though...  certainly nothing to make me want to drive to the store.

Agreed. BPS "sale" prices are usually getting close to what you can find items for normal price elsewhere everyday. Plus, our sales tax pretty much kills any slight savings I might get from their sale prices. Only time I go there anymore is if I need something before it could be shipped to my house.  

• Like 1

What gets me is Academy will put one brand on sale like example smithwick rouges but then have one color that is half the sale price lol

Any idea when Academy usually puts their H2o Ethos rods on sale...heard you can get the regular Ethos for $40 and the micro for $50 - $60 when they are on sale.

2 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Any idea when Academy usually puts their H2o Ethos rods on sale...heard you can get the regular Ethos for $40 and the micro for $50 - $60 when they are on sale.

About once a month around here. A lot of times there will be certain models on sale that aren't advertised but if you scan them, they'll come up as being discounted. Just check their website every Sunday for your local stores. 

I don't have any stores near me so I would be shopping strictly online :(.