Sign in to follow this  
bt8897

Shimano Curado 70 owners

I have had mine for about 2 weeks and today I noticed some slack in the main drive shaft. I can move the handle and whole drag assembly back and forth maybe a 1/16th of an inch. Is this normal? I don't own another shimano to compare it to.

I don't have the Curado 70, just the standard size, and I don't have any play. I'd start by seeing if the washers for the drive shaft/drag assembly are in the correct location - I can't imagine it'd come from the factory that way, but you never know. If they're good, I'd see if the place I purchased it would allow me to exchange, and test the new one before I left.

I have both the 71 and 201, they both have a little play in the assembly. It bugged the hell out of me at first but I don't notice it anymore. I've taken both of them apart a few times and everything is where it is supposed to be, so im at a loss for the reason they are like that.

6 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

normal/typical shimano backplay

^ This

Hootie

Just to be safe I would take it apart and see if something is loose.

Id check that out doesn't sound normal

1 hour ago, fisherrw said:

Id check that out doesn't sound normal

It's totally normal for Shimano's.

• Like 3

I dont think its backplay, the entire shaft, handle, and drag assembly move in and out about a 16th of an inch, not back and forth. I am going to Dicks tomorrow to see if the curado on display does the same thing. Thanks for all the replies guys.

• Like 1

I'll have to check mine but if it does I don't notice it. 

On May 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM, bt8897 said:

I dont think its backplay, the entire shaft, handle, and drag assembly move in and out about a 16th of an inch, not back and forth. I am going to Dicks tomorrow to see if the curado on display does the same thing. Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm assuming you found out the store model does that too. Most Shimano reels do, I would know. It causes no performance issues.

Yes. Stopped by Dick's this afternoon. The Curado on display had the same in and out movement as mine. I was able to find a Chronarch 50e NIB at a online retailer today suppose to be here Friday. I wonder if it will have the same characteristics.

I've lost fished because of retardation, never back play though.  LOL... love my Shimano's! 

• Like 1