Sign in to follow this  
AustinHellickson

Braid or Mono?

I am considering switching to braided line with mono backing, should i? I have an Abu Garcia Pro Max reel and i would mainly be fishing for bass, carp, muskie, catfish, and salmon... any thoughts?

• Like 1

Sure, why not? Give it a try and decide for yourself if you like it. 

I'm someone who isn't married to any one particular type of line. I use braid, mono, flouro, and co-poly. I think each has its application and I've developed a personal preference for what line I feel works best for me with different techniques.

Experiment and decide for yourself what you like, but yes, braid is certainly worth trying. 

• Like 2

If you're used to mono only, you'll be surprised at the increase in sensitivity. 

• Like 1

I've switched to mono backing just to save cost on line. There really is little downside, just make sure not to add so much backing that you are getting down to your connection knot on a long cast. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2016 at 5:53 PM, Oklahoma Mike said:

Sure, why not? Give it a try and decide for yourself if you like it. 

I'm someone who isn't married to any one particular type of line. I use braid, mono, flouro, and co-poly. I think each has its application and I've developed a personal preference for what line I feel works best for me with different techniques.

Experiment and decide for yourself what you like, but yes, braid is certainly worth trying. 

What brand and type should i use?

What techniques do you use for those fish? Braid may or may not be a good idea depending on techniques and where you're fishing for them. I'm certainly all for braid for catfish and muskie, but it's more dependent on the situation for the other fish. 

All braid is not alike.  I prefer Suffix to any other for BC.  With spin, Suffix + Power Pro.  I haven't tried them all, but I would stick with the original brand names rather than buy big box store brands, who don't really make the lines, and don't tell you who does.  Buying them is a gamble.  I've had some that were fine, and some that were not.

20 hours ago, AustinHellickson said:

What brand and type should i use?

My favorite is Seagaur Smackdown. Not the cheapest but I feel it's the best braid I've tried. If you want something a little less expensive, I'd recommend Suffix 832. 

• Like 3

On 5/26/2016 at 7:00 PM, Oklahoma Mike said:

My favorite is Seagaur Smackdown. Not the cheapest but I feel it's the best braid I've tried. If you want something a little less expensive, I'd recommend Suffix 832. 

Thanks