TxHawgs

Replacing Trebles On Popmax & W Plopper

Do you guys change the hooks on the Megabass Popmax? If not for lack of quality then sz? I'm guessing they are sz 4 and W Plopper changing for better hook also looks like a sz 4, u guys go short shank and up to a 2 on either of these plugs or is that too big? Just change to a different #4 on the Plopper or? Thanks

I can't speak for the whopper plopper,  but my Pop Maxes come stock with quality hooks. I'm generally not concerned with using the largest treble possible with poppers because I fish them slow and the fish generally inhale them, rather than slapping at them like a faster moving bait like a whopper plopper, wake bait, or spook. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

I can't speak for the whopper plopper,  but my Pop Maxes come stock with quality hooks. I'm generally not concerned with using the largest treble possible with poppers because I fish them slow and the fish generally inhale them, rather than slapping at them like a faster moving bait like a whopper plopper, wake bait, or spook. 

Yea that's true, but u still need to keep them pinned once u have em and that's what a good wide gap treble or going up in sz cuz u went with a short shank will help do. Already changed them as I'm fishing tomorrow am, stayed w a 4 but put Mustad grip pins on.

I wouldn't change them on either bait unless they were damaged or rusted in some way after use. I am not a guy that is trigger happy on changing out stock hooks on hard baits unless something dictates

• Like 1

What size WP? I use the 130 and changed them to #4 VMC Spark Points. The stock hooks will bend pretty easily. 

10 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

I wouldn't change them on either bait unless they were damaged or rusted in some way after use. I am not a guy that is trigger happy on changing out stock hooks on hard baits unless something dictates

i'm with you on that.  only the strike king _xd hooks are the ones i'm changing out immediately.  they bend when you look at them funny.