Sign in to follow this  
iceintheveins

Pro Qualifier BC Reel Won't Quit Singing/Screeching On Cast

I have had this issue with my PQ's before, where they screech and sing on the cast. I solved the issue by applying a light layer of oil to the brake housing. This is not working though anymore. I even tried a light oil coat on all areas where the spool makes friction with the reel itself. It's still doing it. What's the issue?

Flush the spool bearings - should be the first thing you do if you hear screeching during the cast on any reel aside from the Curado I which needs light oil applied every so often. 

Add a tiny, tiny, tiny drop of oil to each bearing.

Clean ALL the oil off you put on all these extra contact spots. You do more harm than good doing that. A "light layer" is likely too much, even on the contact points. You can drastically slow down the spool by adding too much oil. 

Try that and see if the problem persists. 

I gave the bearings a good flush and clean. I also cleaned off the contact points. We'll see if it continues.

You're on the right track, especially with the brakes. It's actually not all that common for bearings to get to the screeching point. The brake tabs may need replacing or cleaning. Swab the drum and tabs with denatured alcohol the oil the drum very lightly. 

5 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

You're on the right track, especially with the brakes. It's actually not all that common for bearings to get to the screeching point. The brake tabs may need replacing or cleaning. Swab the drum and tabs with denatured alcohol the oil the drum very lightly. 

That's what I did. Plus a full bearing flush. Taking them to a pond today to see if that did the trick.

16 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Nope, it's still doing it after a cleaning and light oiling of the brake drums and friction points. Perhaps I will send them into you this winter so you can fix it and perhaps do a super tune.