Sign in to follow this  
RHuff

Boat Titles

I bought my Triton from a guy in town two weeks ago. I gave him a check and he deposited it and called the finance company the next day and paid the loan off. They told him about a week to get the titles in the mail. It has been a little over two weeks. I cannot register the boat with the DMV until I have the titles and bill of sale in hand. The wait is killing me. I want to go fishing! 

Those of you that bought your boats in my same situation, how long did it take to get your titles in the mail?

Never a boat but have an auto. You paid him and he paid the finance company. Why would the title get mailed to you? 

It will be mailed to the owner and he will have to sign and give you title.

I know I said they told him it would take around a week to receive them by mail. 

No the registration has expired two years ago. 

Are you pretty confident that he did in fact pay the loan off?  

Yes I know him personally used to work with him.

Ask him to call the loan company. 

pretty simple solution to find out the answer. Drive over to his house and have him call the finance company in front of you on speak to find out where it is. Titles shouldn't take almost 3 weeks to receive in the mail. 

I would think a bill of sale would suffice on the water temporarily unless the CPO has a bug up his azz. In IL the registration process is so far behind, all that is needed is the application to present to the CPO's if need be.

4 hours ago, RHuff said:

Yes I know him personally used to work with him.

As long as you know he is on the up and up its probably all normal. Just have him call the finance company and see what they say. Does he have the registration from the last time it was registered? In Iowa you sign that over as part of the bill or sale, if you have a written bill of sale and the registration signed over you MAY be able to register the boat now.. even without a title. In Iowa you can use it for 30 days on a bill of sale, even with expired registration. Same with trailer tags. 

He is going to call the loan company tomorrow to see what date it was sent out. I called the head WV DMV office in Charleston, WV and they said I need to have both titles and the notorized bill of sale in hand to register it in my name. The boat was previously registered in WV but has expired.

14 hours ago, iabass8 said:

Titles shouldn't take almost 3 weeks to receive in the mail. 

You have never dealt with Penna,right-_-:D

• Like 1