Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was wondering what the best rods for 100$ would be. I'm a tournament angler my high school and I buy all my equipment with my own money. So I can't go buying a 400$ rod. I also am very skeptical about rods I haven't had a chance to use. I don't want to fish out a Benjamin and the rod break due to poor quality. I also understand that when a lot of rods break they are user errors. I mainly fish Texas rigged soft plastics and reaction style baits like crankbaits, and chatterbaits. So does anyone recommend a certain brand or rod for 100$? Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New st croix bass x line of rods are 100 bucks good warranty. Just came out new at Icast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cheesefrank said:

New st croix bass x line of rods are 100 bucks good warranty. Just came out new at Icast.

Looking at the St Croix site, I don't see a Bass X, are you talking about the Triumph X?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jtharris3 said:

Looking at the St Croix site, I don't see a Bass X, are you talking about the Triumph X?

No I'm talking about the bass x its new that's why you can't find it look at tackle direct web site they have em.

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to Dobyns and get a Fury for $110.Excellent quality. Look at either a FR 703,704,733 or 734.  The 703 and 704 are both 7 foot rods, one rates MH Fast taper (1/4 to 3/4) and the other rates Heavy with a fast taper ( 1/4 to 1 oz.)  The next two are & foot 3 and again the 733 is mh and the 734 is heavy. These are some very nice rods and very versatile as well.  These are great rods for all bottom contact baits and some baits like spinnerbaits chatterbaits, and flukes.. If you are looking specifically for a crankin rod then look at the FR 705CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Veritas series is great for a hundred bucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like my duckett ghosts for $100 and the blackout is a great rod for $80

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

:fishing-026:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roadwarrior said:

 

:fishing-026:

This is asked very often, I'm aware your new so site navigation is not a strong point. Refer to the above link and you will get A LOT of recommendations. I for one prefer the BPS Carbonlite, but there are # of great options in that price range. Dobyns Fury, Daiwa Tatula XT, the new St croix line seems to be a good rod based on price and components. Honestly if you don't have much experience with baitcasting rod's and different brands go to a local BPS, Gander mtn, Cabelas, Dicks etc and handle the rods and get a feel for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tygaiser7 said:

I really like my duckett ghosts for $100 and the blackout is a great rod for $80

I own both aswell  both are good rods ducketts blanks are stronger but the is to be expected at its price point the blackout is  well worth the 80$ and hasn't let me down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the Cabelas Tournament ZX rods if you have a Cabelas close to you. Not sure who makes the blank for them but they are very light and very sensitive-  especially compared to many other rods at their price point. Plus they have super comfy Winn grips. They are $100 regularly but often are on sale for $70- $80. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

Go to Dobyns and get a Fury for $110.Excellent quality. Look at either a FR 703,704,733 or 734.  The 703 and 704 are both 7 foot rods, one rates MH Fast taper (1/4 to 3/4) and the other rates Heavy with a fast taper ( 1/4 to 1 oz.)  The next two are & foot 3 and again the 733 is mh and the 734 is heavy. These are some very nice rods and very versatile as well.  These are great rods for all bottom contact baits and some baits like spinnerbaits chatterbaits, and flukes.. If you are looking specifically for a crankin rod then look at the FR 705CB.

Fury rods are my recommendation. However, I feel that they are rated a power to high. ie the 703 is more of a medium. The 735 is a solid heavy action rod. 

The veritas is also a good rod, I just like the fury much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Dobyns, Powell, G Loomis etc. all are very close to the same in actions and tapers . The 703 says it is a Medium heavy fast tip good for 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures which makes it correct for bottom bouncing lures. I think you are thinking it is more like a Medium  and it really is not, it would have to have a more moderate tip on it to be like that,  If you are comparing it to the Veritas rods you are right because all Veritas run heavier than stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a powell inferno, an irod fiber and just bought a duckett ghost. The fiber is a 754 and one of my hands down favorite rods in my arsenal. I've had the ghost (6'8" medhvy) less than a week but I have fallen in love with it. Its light, sensitive balances extremely well and is imo the perfect rod for 1/2oz rat-l-traps and red eye shads. I've also owned a powell inferno 734. It was a decent rod. Cork was horrible on the one i got, and the fiber balances better but it was pretty sensitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you ever call Powell about the cork? I bet they would take care of it. They usually are pretty good at taking care of their customer. I have actually talked to the owner about getting a rod to a guy in Canada  and he offered to make it happen for the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

Did you ever call Powell about the cork? I bet they would take care of it. They usually are pretty good at taking care of their customer. I have actually talked to the owner about getting a rod to a guy in Canada  and he offered to make it happen for the guy.

No I didn't, but I have heard that they do have very good CS. My 10 year old cousin loved the color scheme on it and I hardly ever used it so I just gave it to him. Needless to say he was ecstatic about getting it. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 18, 2016 at 0:22 AM, Cheesefrank said:

No I'm talking about the bass x its new that's why you can't find it look at tackle direct web site they have em.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check those out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can get Tatulas for $100, he's crazy not to.  I much prefer mine to my Fury, Bucoo, One Threes, Mojos and any Duckett I've used.  Blanks on the Tatula is the same as the Zillion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it may be the Tatula XT instead of the Tatula. Two different rods

1 hour ago, webertime said:

If he can get Tatulas for $100, he's crazy not to.  I much prefer mine to my Fury, Bucoo, One Threes, Mojos and any Duckett I've used.  Blanks on the Tatula is the same as the Zillion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought regular Tatula's off the auction site and Amazon for $100-$120 each.  Regular Tats not the XT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webertime said:

I just bought regular Tatula's off the auction site and Amazon for $100-$120 each.  Regular Tats not the XT.

Dang good deal then. I'd love to come across some for that price. How you liking em? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 7'2" H is very similar to a 7' MH SC Avid.  It's crisper and lighter feeling though.  Great for Jigs and T-Rigs.  The 7'2"MHR is a beast for moving single hooks.  7'MLR is a great small crank/Jerk/Spook rod.   Played with the 7'4" H and it's a great Frog and Caroling Rig Rod.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns is the greatest rod ever built! Everything else is like hand me down underwear! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has their own opinion as to the best rod, yo can poll 30 people and you will get at least 5-10 different companies, if there was one best rod company no other rod company would be in business. But to answer yor question take a look at the Fenwick HMG's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×