Jump to content
LShep

Hello from Hampton Roads, VA

Recommended Posts

Hi my name is Larney. I go by LT. I am a United States Marine Corps veteran. I love all types of fishing but I really love LMB fishing. I've been fishing all my life. I am originally from Spotsylvania, VA and grew up fishing the Rappahanock River and local farm ponds. Just recently started back up fishing.  My home lake is Lone Star Lakes but I am looking to find more spots so I figured this site would be a good way to find more.  I welcome any advice or tips for the Hampton Roads area. Thanks and God Bless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome LT, and thank you for your service! :usa-flag-89:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome! 

 

Mike 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello LT and Thank You for your Service

Welcome to Bass Resource

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your service, LT.  Welcome to Bass Resource. Enjoy reading & contributing in the forums.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums!

Jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just moved away from the Tidewater area, and I really enjoyed the fishing there. Have you tried the Norfolk lakes yet? Lake Prince is my favorite, with Lake Western Branch a close second. beautiful scenery and good fishing. if you are fishing lake Prince, try the Girl Scout cove area. I have had good success there. Tight lines

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings Larney , thank you for your service and Welcome to the forums :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, edfitzvb said:

Just moved away from the Tidewater area, and I really enjoyed the fishing there. Have you tried the Norfolk lakes yet? Lake Prince is my favorite, with Lake Western Branch a close second. beautiful scenery and good fishing. if you are fishing lake Prince, try the Girl Scout cove area. I have had good success there. Tight lines

When I was looking online I saw Prince and Western Branch but I don't have a boat. Online it said Western Branch bank fishing was prohibited and Prince was restricted to a small area around the boat ramp. Is that true or are there areas accessible from the bank? I just didn't want to waste my time for a little bit of area that is highly pressured. Thanks for the reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard, LT!

On the Peninsula myself, so don't know
much about the South Side other than
what other guys have told me.

And yeah, Lake Prince is supposed to be
a fantastic place with some plate-sized
bluegill. I think a state record or something
close came outta Prince if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure a lot of the guys on that side of
Hampton Roads will chime in with areas you
can fish. If you are up to it, I highly recommend
getting a kayak (I started with a $300 fishing
yak from BJ's Wholesale Club) so you can
hit areas off shore to broaden your reach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Darren. said:

Welcome aboard, LT!

On the Peninsula myself, so don't know
much about the South Side other than
what other guys have told me.

And yeah, Lake Prince is supposed to be
a fantastic place with some plate-sized
bluegill. I think a state record or something
close came outta Prince if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure a lot of the guys on that side of
Hampton Roads will chime in with areas you
can fish. If you are up to it, I highly recommend
getting a kayak (I started with a $300 fishing
yak from BJ's Wholesale Club) so you can
hit areas off shore to broaden your reach.

Thanks Darren. Yeah I am seriously considering getting a kayak. Starting to look like the best/affordable option for me right now. Any suggestions for a beginner kayak? I've only rented a kayak once and never owned one so I don't know much about them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LShep said:

Thanks Darren. Yeah I am seriously considering getting a kayak. Starting to look like the best/affordable option for me right now. Any suggestions for a beginner kayak? I've only rented a kayak once and never owned one so I don't know much about them. 

Not sure of the kayak stores on the South Side, but 
in Hampton (just a little ways down from the Bass Pro)
is Appomattox River Company. They are great folks 
and have a number of new yaks you can sit in.

However, if you want to keep your spending down,
you should look at used models, or even previous
year model kayaks.

My $300 yak from BJ's was sufficient to get me off
shore and on to fish I never would have seen otherwise.

But it also showed me what I *wanted* in a kayak.
For one, the ability to stand and fish. So it had to be
wide and stable. I settled on the Native Ultimate 12,
but since then, a TON of standable kayaks have hit
the market - and you can find some pretty good ones
at the Bass Pro in Hampton... :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2016 at 10:46 PM, Darren. said:

Not sure of the kayak stores on the South Side, but 
in Hampton (just a little ways down from the Bass Pro)
is Appomattox River Company. They are great folks 
and have a number of new yaks you can sit in.

However, if you want to keep your spending down,
you should look at used models, or even previous
year model kayaks.

My $300 yak from BJ's was sufficient to get me off
shore and on to fish I never would have seen otherwise.

But it also showed me what I *wanted* in a kayak.
For one, the ability to stand and fish. So it had to be
wide and stable. I settled on the Native Ultimate 12,
but since then, a TON of standable kayaks have hit
the market - and you can find some pretty good ones
at the Bass Pro in Hampton... :) 

Yeah I live in that Bass Pro. Lol. Thanks again. Ill definitely check out Appomattox. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LShep said:

Yeah I live in that Bass Pro. Lol. Thanks again. Ill definitely check out Appomattox. 

The manager's name is Vic, he's a great guy,
quite knowledgable and can help you with a
lot of kayak knowledge, even if you don't end
up buying from him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darren. said:

The manager's name is Vic, he's a great guy,
quite knowledgable and can help you with a
lot of kayak knowledge, even if you don't end
up buying from him.

Awesome. Ill stop by next time I am at Bass Pro. Sounds like the man I need to talk to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Home! We're glad you're here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×