Sign in to follow this  
scaleface

10 or 20 lb Lee production pot ?

I decided to get one . I'm thinking a ten lb pot  would be just fine but the twenty pound one is not that much more . I have lots of lead and a few molds . I'm not  going to make lures for sale or anything like that , just make some for me and friends . For you guys who pour what size would you get ?

I use the Hot Pot II and like it because I can control the speed of my pour much easier. The downside is it has no temperature control. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I use the Hot Pot II and like it because I can control the speed of my pour much easier. The downside is it has no temperature control. 

Thats an idea too . I wont be mass producing anything . I always melted lead in a pot on a Coleman stove and poured with a ladel . I had a lot of incomplete product , or got the lead to hot and it ran out of the seams .

I have the 20  and it works well until you start using dirty lead, then you have to clean up the port often to keep a good stream flowing.  Have a wire ready to clean up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Have you poured spinner-baits with it ? I only had about a 50 per cent success rate getting a wholly formed lure using a pot and ladle .

I haven't but it's done great pouring heads with small keepers and such that were difficult to pour with my 10lb pot. 

• Like 1

I find the the wire interfers at the spout most of the time. When that happens, I use the small ladel. Partial pours will always happen- make sure that your mold is hot, the lead is pure soft lead and you pour in one motion- no stopping. 

As Bluebasser mentions, the increased capacity of the 20 really shoots the lead out of the spout, one of the features that I like.

MAke sure you use the wooden knob- mine was missing and I end up using a plier or wrench to lift the lever cause it's too hot with bare hands. And I would recommend getting the ingot mold to store the extra lead in the pot. :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

I ordered the Hot Pot .  I am out of the little spinnerbaits I like to use and need to make another dozen . 

• Like 1