Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
warrior1

Talon install

Recommended Posts

I did mine and it wasn't bad I just lowered the motor on a piece of wood loosened the bolts up and did one side at a time.  I currently have a set of sandwich plates I'm gonna be listing for sale also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, if you have a Merc engine that is still in warranty, the use of a sandwich bracket will void the warranty completely. You have to use a jackplate /w the right bracket to use talons/power poles if you don't want to void the warranty. If yours isn't in warranty, pay no attention. I've read it's pretty easy to install. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iabass8 said:

Just a heads up, if you have a Merc engine that is still in warranty, the use of a sandwich bracket will void the warranty completely. You have to use a jackplate /w the right bracket to use talons/power poles if you don't want to void the warranty. If yours isn't in warranty, pay no attention. I've read it's pretty easy to install. 

great, I don't have a jackplate and the motor is still under warranty.  purchased the whole set up used for a great price. it included the sandwich plates, tilt bracket and all.  That sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, warrior1 said:

great, I don't have a jackplate and the motor is still under warranty.  purchased the whole set up used for a great price. it included the sandwich plates, tilt bracket and all.  That sucks. 

I would talk to your dealer about options. Jackplates aren't that expensive. There's hours of information on the bulletin merc put out in 2013 about how using sandwich brackets voids their warranty. I'm not 100% on this but I think there used to be an acceptable bracket to use w/o a jackplate  but I'm not sure if it's still around. Either way, the sandwich bracket voids the warranty and I would talk to a local certified Merc dealer/mechanic if I were you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

I would talk to your dealer about options. Jackplates aren't that expensive

I bought a used 2014 Nitro and wasn't planning on adding a jackplate.  I guess i'll have to wait until next July when the warranty is up to install the Talon or just re-sell it.  I got a year old complete set up for $1550.00 so, I should be able to turn that around if I go that route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed mine on a jackplate on my Skeeter. I had it installed in 1 hour and 10 minutes, and I took my time. I had a 6 pack of IPAs to get me through, only ended up drinking 2. So that's a success. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, RyneB said:

I installed mine on a jackplate on my Skeeter. I had it installed in 1 hour and 10 minutes, and I took my time. I had a 6 pack of IPAs to get me through, only ended up drinking 2. So that's a success. 

LOL, No jackplate, so a sandwich plate is the way I have to go.  I got a quote of between $250.00 to $350.00 to install ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can have them install the brackets and you install the talon. Should only be an hour labor to pull the motor, install brackets and reinstall motor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slonezp said:

You can have them install the brackets and you install the talon. Should only be an hour labor to pull the motor, install brackets and reinstall motor

The guy I bought the Talon from also had a CMC ML-65 jack plate that he sold me for $50.00 so if the jackplate brackets work with that, I'll just have the JP installed and mount the talon myself.  Since the talon came with the sand which brackets , I'll just have to buy the JP one.  I guess I can then sell the S/W  bracket and spacer on Craigslist. I think this is the one:

 

 

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM, iabass8 said:

I would talk to your dealer about options. Jackplates aren't that expensive. There's hours of information on the bulletin merc put out in 2013 about how using sandwich brackets voids their warranty. I'm not 100% on this but I think there used to be an acceptable bracket to use w/o a jackplate  but I'm not sure if it's still around. Either way, the sandwich bracket voids the warranty and I would talk to a local certified Merc dealer/mechanic if I were you. 

 

 

Does installing Talons void the warranty on Evinrudes too?

What about voiding hull warranties?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tcbass said:

 

 

Does installing Talons void the warranty on Evinrudes too?

What about voiding hull warranties?

Check your owners manual and read all the BRP bullitens carefully. There was a bulliten released for e-tecs and installing talons without a jackplate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tcbass said:

 

 

Does installing Talons void the warranty on Evinrudes too?

What about voiding hull warranties?

not sure about the Etecs, but after finding out about the warranty void with the Merc, I read the heck out of post on the web and did come across other topics regarding hull warranties and some insurance companies refusing to pay on claims because of the improper spacers between the motors, but didn't pay much attentions since the didn't match my issue.  What I thought was funny is the Talon came off a one year old Ranger and the dealer never told him his warranty would be voided with the S/W plate and he has an extended warranty on his Merc. 

In any case, I had three choices: wait a year until my motor warranty was over; put on the sandwich plate and take a chance, or get a Jack Plate.  The decision was easy when he had that Jack Plate laying around and sold it to me.  Now, if I decide to get another Talon, I won't have to pay for my motor to be removed again, and just mount it on the other side of the JP.

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×