ChrisD46

Watermelon Red Color For Spotted Bass ?

How many of you have had success in fishing for spotted bass with watermelon red color soft plastics ? Although a popular color for bass (largemouth ?) , I seem to score poorly with watermeon red vs. green pumpkin color in soft plastics for spotted bass . Conversely , I have caught a significant number of largemouth bass on watermelon red color soft plastics - but never spotted bass - go figure ?

It's a very good color for spots for me, especially with a touch of chartreuse JJ's on the tail. Same goes for smallies. 

• Like 1

The only color I throw is watermelon neon (red), I don't own any green pumpkin!

For Spots on Toro Creek all ya need is watermelon neon baby brush hogs!

My new color of the summer has been California 420 from Zoom. Dark top with Watermelon red bottom. I've caught LM, SM, and Kentucky's. Literally have caught fish in stained water at night to clearer water in the bright sun on it.

• Like 1

Have had a lot of luck with spots in morning dawn and sexy shad in the roboworm line up . 

• Like 1

I have a few friends that fish spots and they say that spots like standard colors like pumpkin seed and watermelon with bright color tips like orange chartreuse and red. 

i catch ALOT of spots. gp/chartreuse, wm/chart, wm/red, wmseed/chart, wmseed/red and june bug ALL WORK. you may have to experiment on any given day but that's the fun part to me. good luck.

12 minutes ago, speed craw said:

Have had a lot of luck with spots in morning dawn and sexy shad in the roboworm line up . 

VERY MUCH agree with you on the morning dawn roboworm!  they'll tear that thing up on either a shakyhead or dropshot.

The should have been new world record spot was caught on a roboworm rigged on a shaky head, I just talked to one of my buddies and he said his favorite way to catch spots is a zoom U-tail worm in green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail on a shaky head.

In the Chattahoochee anything with red or orange is catching both spots and largemouth right now. Caught several last weekend with craws in there throat and they were a brown/orange/red color so that's probably why.

2 hours ago, lakeannaangler said:

a zoom U-tail worm in green pumpkin with a chartreuse tail 

good call

If only there were spots in my area. :unsure:

Thanks for the replies - time to experiment ... In my area the "proverb" for spot fishing goes like this : " Any color will work - as long as it's green pumpkin" !

15 hours ago, BiteFiend said:

If only there were spots in my area. :unsure:

X2  I have good success with red shad senkos for lmb around here though. 

Watermelon red definitely works well on our spots out here.

I use GP, Junebug, M3, Morning Dawn, and black. For me the darker colored worms get bit more. I use watermelon red Rage Craws on a jig rig and they bite that really well. I only fish for them Nov-Feb.