Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

Do you take your boat insurance off in the winter when it's stored?

I will be storing my boat in my pole-barn in the winter. I'm assuming if the barn burned down or something it would be covered under my homeowners policy. I know a lot of you have boats that don't know what winter is, so this isn't for you. lol. I figure if I ever had to move the boat when it was winter out like if I moved to a new house it would be covered under my truck's policy.

For those of you that have to winterize your boats at your residences, do you take the regular boat insurance off it when it's stored?

I only played around with Progressive and Travelers (chose Travelers) both required a years worth of payments for me, so I couldn't pay only for the months I use it. 

Also, don't assume your homeowner's policy will protect you, a lot do not protect 'out buildings' which your barn probably would be. It's safest to call and ask. And if they say yes it would be FULLY covered in the barn (fire/theft/etc), request a copy of that in writing. 

For the price of boat insurance, I would leave it covered for the whole year just for the peace of mind.

^ agreed.  worth the peace of mind knowing it's covered.

Thieves and Murphy can get you any time. Keep it insured. 

Mine stays covered. A lot of companies offer incentives and reduced prices for long term customers.

No. I live in the NE. Winter means fallen trees. Fallen trees can wreck a bass boat good. Not worth the nominal savings in my estimation. 

23 hours ago, Avalonjohn44 said:

For the price of boat insurance, I would leave it covered for the whole year just for the peace of mind.

Mine will stay insured as well. Boat insurance is about the cheapest part of fishing. 

• Like 1

When I first got my boat insurance here in Mass, I read it.  It seemed to read that the boat was insured for eight or nine months of the year.  But that was not the case.  It limited, or restricted, leaving the boat in the water year round, which makes sense.  Insurance companies do not want to pay for negligence resulting in ice damage, sinking, etc.

Insurance policies vary, so you need to check with your agent when it comes to understanding the details and fine print.