Jump to content
tcbass

What would you do: quick release mount or drill holes?

Recommended Posts

So I'm attempting to replace the current Minn Kota Fortrex on my Stratos bass boat to a Minn Kota Terrova. I spoke with Minn Kota (they have a chat feature, which I like much better than talking on the phone) and they said that the mounting holes for the Terrova and Ulterra are the same (same footprint I guess) while they are different for the Fortrex. 

The Minn Kota employee said I'd have to drill new holes or I could use a Minn Kota MKA-47 universal quick release bracket and would not have to drill new holes. The bracket costs $149. 

I would like to switch the Terrova to an Ulterra this winter when I can find it on sale and I thought that using the bracket might make it easier, but if I go the drill hole route rather than the bracket the holes are already drilled so it wouldn't be too much work changing the two out, not like it was when I went from the Fortrex to the Terrova. The Terrova seems to have a bigger footprint so it could potentially cover the old holes. But if not, I am worried that I'll have 4 big, uncovered, and unsightly holes at the front of my boat though. 

I don't need a quick release bracket for any other reason, I don't ever take my TM off my boat. I also hate the Fortrex so u don't plan on switching back and forth, the Terrova or Ulterra will be permanent.

 

What would you do, just drill new holes or use the bracket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the bracket, you could switch between the two - an assumption on my part.  I would prefer that setup, since there are times when I'd want a cable steer, and others when I'd want a electric steer.  I'm not sure there any issues with the bracket, so hopefully someone can comment on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had a problem with drilling new holes in my boat.  If the old holes will be covered with the new trolling motor, I fill them with silicone. If they will be exposed, I put in a stainless screw with a grommet, washer and nut, adding silicone to the hole as I put in the screw.  My boat is 28 years old and has had 3 different trolling motors, downriggers, and 6 or 8 different depth finders with transducers. I have a bunch of old mounting holes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scott F said:

I've never had a problem with drilling new holes in my boat.  If the old holes will be covered with the new trolling motor, I fill them with silicone. If they will be exposed, I put in a stainless screw with a grommet, washer and nut, adding silicone to the hole as I put in the screw.  My boat is 28 years old and has had 3 different trolling motors, downriggers, and 6 or 8 different depth finders with transducers. I have a bunch of old mounting holes!

 

 

Does it have to be marine grade silicone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never used marine grade silicone before. I don't keep my boat outdoors and don't use it in saltwater. The regular RTV silicone I've been using for years has always held up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id get the bracket, and hold onto the fortrex as a backup in case you ever come to a point you "need" it,...it would be an easy swap as well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keith "Hamma" Hatch said:

Id get the bracket, and hold onto the fortrex as a backup in case you ever come to a point you "need" it,...it would be an easy swap as well

 

 

I hate cable driven TMs. So I'd never keep the Fortrex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want an Ulterra why are you not going for that first?  Now I would use 5200 Marine Tex to fill in the holes. It can be lightly sanded and painted to closely match you boat's color then I would drill and mount my new trolling motor. Anything that makes it easier for you to remove it makes it easier for someone else to remove it!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my opinion use the Minn Kota MKA-47 universal quick release bracket.  I prefer as few marks scratches and holes as possible for equipment attached to my boat. Once you cut into it you can't undo it. :shocked2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

If you want an Ulterra why are you not going for that first?  Now I would use 5200 Marine Tex to fill in the holes. It can be lightly sanded and painted to closely match you boat's color then I would drill and mount my new trolling motor. Anything that makes it easier for you to remove it makes it easier for someone else to remove it!  

 

I'm waiting for it to go on sale someplace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick release, every time.

Only a little more expensive, and it gives you the best of both worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with the bracket system.

Makes motor switch out & removal (if & when TM repair is required) very easy.

Once it's on - there's no issues.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, since I just spent a ton on this boat I decided I should save some money and went with just mounting it regular. It worked out well. 

 

Thx for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, tcbass said:

Well, since I just spent a ton on this boat I decided I should save some money and went with just mounting it regular. It worked out well. 

 

Thx for the help!

Glad it worked out...now get out and go fishing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is motorguides cast aluminum bracket.

no good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BassnChris said:

Here is motorguides cast aluminum bracket.

no good.

 

 

 

 

Whoa.

 

I actually hit a big rock today fishing with my friend. Terrova is still going strong, no damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tcbass said:

I actually hit a big rock today fishing with my friend. Terrova is still going strong, no damage.

I hit plenty of rocks with my Terrova.  Most with no effect.  I did manage to bend the motor shaft once though.  Turned it into a little water pump that squirted water into the armature until the whole works shorted out.

Check the prop to make sure it's not wobbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM, BassnChris said:

Here is motorguides cast aluminum bracket.

no good.

 

 

Could this happen with the MK quick detach mount? Because if that's the case I'd rather mount it directly to the boat. 

If not, I can see how a quick release mount would be nice if I had to take it off for repair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tcbass said:

Could this happen with the MK quick detach mount? Because if that's the case I'd rather mount it directly to the boat. 

If not, I can see how a quick release mount would be nice if I had to take it off for repair. 

The MK mount is secured to the deck the same as the TM would be.  Then the TM slides onto the metal mount A FULL 24 Inches. 

Anything is possible but unless the mount is somehow attached incorrectly, it's not going anywhere -

That's a 112 Fortrex picture below (62" shaft")    It''s a Beast of a motor & It's rock solid on a MK quick release mount..

A-Jay

IMG_20160818_070019 (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×