Jump to content
detroithiker

Am I the only one that has a hard time sticking with a new type of tackle till I figure out how to make it work

Recommended Posts

Always give up too soon and switch to something I know I can get a bite on, I have a hard time fishing the lure I can't make work over and over again, all I can think about is if I throw something else I can catch a fish, am I the only one out there that's okay cause this problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup... So, I pick specific trips to places I know have ample fish and commit to ONLY fish [insert non-confidence bait] there.

For example, we're leaving camp here tomorrow after a week on the lake.  I fished two baits - jig with trailer and a soft plastic swimbait - the whole week.  I know I could've gotten more production with some of the other baits I know, but I needed the chance to practice with these and build confidence.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not.

But you're also probably not the only one who's self-imposed limited skill set could be hand-cuffing potential success.

While fishing a new technique, it's not so much about "Catching", it's about learning.   You might help yourself out quite a bit here if you set reasonable expectations.  The chances of nailing a 30 lb bag the first day out while learning something new are pretty slim. 

Don't rush it, enjoy the journey.  You'll be a better fisherman for it.  

There's a ton of confidence boosting satisfaction in new found success.  So much in fact that it often inspires one to try something else.

A-Jay

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Probably not.

But you're also probably not the only one who's self-imposed limited skill set could be hand-cuffing potential success.

While fishing a new technique, it's not so much about "Catching", it's about learning.   You might help yourself out quite a bit here if you set reasonable expectations.  The chances of nailing a 30 lb bag the first day out while learning something new are pretty slim. 

Don't rush it, enjoy the journey.  You'll be a better fisherman for it.  

There's a ton of confidence boosting satisfaction in new found success.  So much in fact that it often inspires one to try something else.

A-Jay

A lot of wisdom here especially this Part: "Don't rush It, enjoy the journey"  Apply this every trip out and I think you'll find your fishing much more enjoyable.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Probably not.

But you're also probably not the only one who's self-imposed limited skill set could be hand-cuffing potential success.

i know guys who'll only fish a certain lure or technique whether they get bit or not. smh

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lo n slo said:

i know guys who'll only fish a certain lure or technique whether they get bit or not. smh

Yeah the cousin I fish with the most considers switching color of soft plastic worms switching it up.

I rarely see him without a worm on his line, and I have never ever seen him catch a bass with anything other than a worm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its tough fishing a new type of tackle or technique especially when you are not catching anything. But how else do you get confidence in a bait or technique? I have had no success with a shakey head and floating worm but I'm still gonna try it when other baits are not producing. Finding a location and conditions for a certain bait takes time on the water and patience. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear lots of people also say to only use a particular bait for a day.  I disagree with that myself.  I would say do your research, find out what types of conditions the bait you are trying to learn works best and find those conditions.  Then you can learn the new bait in better conditions.  Don't just throw it out there when the bite is on fire and they will hit anything because what are you really learning?

It really helps to keep a log of your catches with conditions and bait etc....i am not as vigilant at tracking as i should be but when i do it, i see patterns quickly and that alone build confidence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit I have only caught bass on about 10% of my lures, maybe less.

Although all my fishing tackle fits in 3 tackle trays so I don't own much and hope to keep it that way, hope being the opporative word here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, detroithiker said:

Yeah the cousin I fish with the most considers switching color of soft plastic worms switching it up.

I rarely see him without a worm on his line, and I have never ever seen him catch a bass with anything other than a worm.

Do we have the same cousin? I've stopped fishing with mine and he's pretty much abandoned the bass to go back to trout. Dude only throws power worms and won't venture to good spots for fear of a tick bite.

I've been trying to force myself to have success with flukes and spinnerbaits lately. The fluke never stays on for more than 15 minutes. I'm coming around on the spinnerbait though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flyfisher said:

Don't just throw it out there when the bite is on fire and they will hit anything because what are you really learning?I

Well, my take is completely different. I suggest ONLY fishing new lures/ baits when you are on a good bite. That is the only way I can tell whether a bait is going to be added to the line-up. There are too many variables that are attributed to a lure that you simply cannot control. What might be the best bait in the world doesn't always work.

 

:fishing-026:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you really want to get more proficient in a new technique, then go fishing with ONLY that tackle.  Leave your other stuff at home so your only option is the new technique.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

Well, my take is completely different. I suggest ONLY fishing new lures/ baits when you are on a good bite. That is the only way I can tell whether a bait is going to be added to the line-up. There are too many variables that are attributed to a lure that you simply cannot control. What might be the best bait in the world doesn't always work.

 

:fishing-026:

I guess it depends on your stubbornness (is that even a word) level.  For me, I don't see myself as learning anything when the bite is on fire as such as when i work for my bites.  You do build confidence though by fishing when the bite is on fire, just not my style per se.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Torn Thumb said:

Do we have the same cousin? I've stopped fishing with mine and he's pretty much abandoned the bass to go back to trout. Dude only throws power worms and won't venture to good spots for fear of a tick bite.

I've been trying to force myself to have success with flukes and spinnerbaits lately. The fluke never stays on for more than 15 minutes. I'm coming around on the spinnerbait though.

So glad to hear I am not alone, so far I can only say I do well with worms, tubes and inline spinners, although today I caught 4 bass and only used skirted jigs, I would not say I am good with them yet but I stuck with it and had success.

15 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

Well, my take is completely different. I suggest ONLY fishing new lures/ baits when you are on a good bite. That is the only way I can tell whether a bait is going to be added to the line-up. There are too many variables that are attributed to a lure that you simply cannot control. What might be the best bait in the world doesn't always work.

 

:fishing-026:

I can see the logic here, if the fishing is good and you catch one then you at least know the bait can catch fish and this will give you the confidence to take that bait serious, I will take this advice for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×