Jump to content
Ladybass

Braid wrapping around guides

Recommended Posts

I have 40lb braid on my frogging/flipping/pitching rod. Been having problems with braid wrapping around my guides, sometimes its only my last or second toast guide, other times it gets wrapped around a few. Its not a huge problem, just annoying when you have to fix it, and recommendations to help prevent this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smaller guides and just being careful to not have slack when lure leaves water.

 

Just a part of life...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Montanaro said:

Smaller guides and just being careful to not have slack when lure leaves water.

 

Just a part of life...

Yeah guides are really small, really annoying at times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What brand braid?  Some are more apt to do this than others, I've noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This can also happen frequently if you accidentally missed a guide when threading your line. Double check, happens to the best of us sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same irritating problem. Figured it was just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it happens when the line has quite a bit of twist. Remove the twist from the line and see if the problem goes away. If you don't know how to get the twist out, the easiest way is to troll along letting out line as you go with no lure on. When you get to line that still has all of its original color, wind it back on while holding the line between your fingers with a bit of tension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sometimes a newer braid that is a little stiffer doesn't wrap so easily.  But it IS definitely a pain sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happens quite a bit to me when I use mono or co poly. Never had it happen to me with braid. I normally spray some kvd line and lure to it and it seems to help manage the line twist a little bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J Francho said:

What brand braid?  Some are more apt to do this than others, I've noticed.

Suffix 832 braid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ladybass said:

Suffix 832 braid

That's what I'm using also...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking it may have as much to do with what guides are mounted on your rod as with what braid you're using.  Most of my rods use Kigan zero-tangle "macro" size guides and other than a rare wrap-around at the tip-top, I don't recall having any issues.

Tight lines,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When purchasing or building a Rod there are several tangle free guides to use but that doesn't help much in this case. A little heavier braid might help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smallieseeker said:

Happens quite a bit to me when I use mono or co poly. Never had it happen to me with braid. I normally spray some kvd line and lure to it and it seems to help manage the line twist a little bit

I don't think line conditioner has any affect on braid does it? Braid doesn't really retain memory so I don't really see how it would help. Maybe during the break in period? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hogsticker said:

I don't think line conditioner has any affect on braid does it? Braid doesn't really retain memory so I don't really see how it would help. Maybe during the break in period? 

I'm applying it to the co poly not braid. I'm pretty sure your right it doesn't do a whole lot to braid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smallieseeker said:

I'm applying it to the co poly not braid. I'm pretty sure your right it doesn't do a whole lot to braid

Gotcha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ladybass said:

Suffix 832 braid

I have this is issue with this brand as the braid "wears in."  Power Pro, Tuf-Line, and Seaguar don't seem to be as bad.

If you strip off 20 yards or so, it seems to fix the issue for several weeks, until it wears in again.  I also find that KVD L&L slows this process down.  It also keeps the line from bleeding and fading, so there is a benefit to using it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happens to me whenever I have to rip my frog from a pad because it snagged it with a hook and it either A.) Ripped and shot towards me and it tangled or B.) I tried to fling my lure over it by snapping my rod tip in the air and the frog goes flying and the line tangles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finns Wind-Tamer braid will help prevent guide wraps and wind knots plus the color doesn't run.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WRB said:

Finns Wind-Tamer braid will help prevent guide wraps and wind knots plus the color doesn't run.

Tom

Interesting ~ Situational Braid.

I like it.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started using Finns PRT braid in salt water fishing over 20 years, good product been around a long time and doesn't ever lose color dye. I see TW carries it now.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have an answer for this. I've never had an avocado get tangled.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason I seldom use braid. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 12, 2016 at 2:47 PM, J Francho said:

I have this is issue with this brand as the braid "wears in."  Power Pro, Tuf-Line, and Seaguar don't seem to be as bad.

If you strip off 20 yards or so, it seems to fix the issue for several weeks, until it wears in again.  I also find that KVD L&L slows this process down.  It also keeps the line from bleeding and fading, so there is a benefit to using it.

Yea i have only really used suffix 832, ill give some other brands a try, thanks!

On August 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM, WRB said:

Started using Finns PRT braid in salt water fishing over 20 years, good product been around a long time and doesn't ever lose color dye. I see TW carries it now.

Tom

Ill check it out, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×